PDA

View Full Version : Naples in November

magpie
28th Oct 2001, 21:59
I am heading out to South West Florida at the end of Nov, in search of good weather and much flying, and was wondering whether I could expect to see any other wanabees loitering in the area?

Secondly, for those of you who have had the pleasure of staying in Naples, is the city as quiet as it sounds? My internet searches have conjured up plenty of whist drives and bridge nights, but little else! Clearly, my main aim is to continue my flight training. However, I would hope to enjoy the occasional social moment in the sun. Your tips and recommendations please.

InFinRetirement
29th Oct 2001, 01:24
I was there is March/April this year.

Wx will be warm-ish! Fair to good. Social life centres around Fifth Avenue - at night. Bars an restaurants during the day and evenings and the people are very friendly.

Some eating houses are hellishly expensive others are not bad. "Red Lobster" restaurants are very good. Some waterside restaurants are very reasonable in Naples. Naples itself is inherently for the very wealthy.

My best tip would be to venture a little further north. Captiva Island is wonderful. About 45 minutes by car. Great fish restaurants. Good steak restaurants too, one steak restaurant offers a 72 ounce steak for about 10 dollars with the words "what you can't eat you can ride home!"

When flying I expect you will be encouraged to have a good look around on your first trip - the view below is breathtakingly beautiful. Then you have to concentrate. Nice airfield though.

However, the guys there will point you towards some favourite haunts. Great place.
You will enjoy it I am sure.

Sensible
29th Oct 2001, 01:41
I stayed there a few years back, on New Years Eve, I asked the motel owners what they did on New Years Eve and the answer was "well, we generally go to bed at around ten thirty" I do remember getting bitten half to death by the mosquitoes whilst quueing outside a restaurant on New Years Eve! Mosquitoes not a problem in the UK in Dec/Jan!