PDA

View Full Version : Skills Test - Robin HR200

Maxflyer
28th Apr 2003, 19:47
Hi there,

I'm due to take my skills test very shortly in a Robin HR200. I am not happy about my Glide Approach performance and am currently doing revision work on this. I would be interested to know if:-

a). Anyone else has trained in this type of aircraft - pre skills test?
B). Did they find judging best time to employ flaps easy.
C). Do they have any tips for me???

All help gratefully received.

BlueRobin
28th Apr 2003, 20:01
Whasat, a HR200? I learnt to fly on these too. Outstanding choice of trainer. Far better than a Cesspot 150. So, I assume yours is at Sywell NSoF?

Anyway....

a. Yup. And?

b. Hmmm, you speak yoda I think.

c. Tips for what?

Not quite sure what your problem is exactly.

To enter glide, pull throttle off, roughly three quick flicks backwards on that wonderful trim wheel and sink like a stone (well 700fpm) at 75 knots.

The HR200 doesn't have wonderful glide performance. You have to think quick for a glide approach or PFL, but this focuses your mind. Better to do this then go on to a floaty Warrior, than vice versa.

As for employing flaps, this is not a HR200-related issue. Okay, they're electric and may take 2 seconds to deploy. When and where is a decision you have to make based on your height and speed. The HR200 slips wonderfully. I love the stick-rudder co-ordination. Bear this in mind.

She can be a wee sod to trim properly in thermal acitvity. Keep an eye on the height during the skills test (but the examiner won't neccesarily fail you for it).

Dig out the school's HR200 Flight Manual and give it a read.

Any questions?

BlueRobin

HR200 and DR221. Why does my logbook smell of garlic? ;)

Evo
28th Apr 2003, 20:02
Is an HR200 the same as a Robin 2120? I'm new to Robins, so I don't know all the numbers - a quick search shows that they look the same, but... :confused: If they're essentially the same thing then I may be able to help.

BlueRobin
28th Apr 2003, 20:10
Evo - you are correct. The H was dropped. Designer Chris (H)eintz moved to Canada in the early 70s soon after desinging the HR range. Wasn't a success at the time so I believe but doing okay now!

Chris is designing the Zenair/Zenith Air range of kit a/c now.

AFAIR, the lastest variants of the 200 feature a new wing shape (ported I recall off the 3000), outboard landing lights on the port wing tip and a dagger board beneath the tail.

Evo
28th Apr 2003, 20:28
:ok:

Is there a good website about the aeroplanes anywhere? The Robin/Apex one isn't very helpful, and that's as far as I've looked. Love the aeroplanes, especially the 2160i - wonderful compared to the PA-28 I learned on.

Anyway, Glides/PFLs...

a) Nope, switched to the 2120/2160 after my PPL. Love them :)

b) Drop the first stage of flap (10 degrees) as usual, but wait for the second stage of flap until you know you've made it in to the field. On the 2120 the second stage (35 degrees) slows the aeroplane down very well, so you dont want to add second stage early unless you're seriously high. However, if you're high then better to...

c) This isn't type specific, but remember that you can compensate for being too high or low when turning final. You'll get rid of height in the turn, so if you're high extend the base leg past the centreline and S-turn back to final, if you're low then cut the corner. You can also throw in some S-turns on final and/or sideslip to get rid of excess height - it's always better to be a bit high on a glide approach than too low! Once you're sure you'll make it in drop the drag flap. (edited to add: also a general tip, but learn the speeds and trim for best glide asap. Glides and PFLs are much easier when you dont have to fight the aeroplane to get the approach speed right).

HTH. Never liked glide approaches myself, but they are a good lesson in judging the approach to land. You can always add power for the others if you've got it wrong :)

BlueRobin
28th Apr 2003, 20:48
I wrote a quick guide on the HR200 for the club website (in fact, I wrote the whole website!) You'll see why it's "BlueRobin".

http://www.wellaviate.co.uk/html/gofly/robin200_1.html
(Download the sales brochure on the last page).

Speak to the Robin people at Aerofair, North Weald, 16-18th May.

The Jodel website (http://www.jodel.com) gives some good background. You could also read the DR400 guide in this month's issue of Pilot.

stiknruda
28th Apr 2003, 22:27
Evo wrote "Never liked glide approaches myself, but they are a good lesson in judging the approach to land"

I guess that in excess of 90% of my landings are made off glide approaches. Pull the power abeam the numbers, when the ASI hits 90mph start a continuous turn to final. When perpendicular to the strip, wings level and "belly check", assess height and carry on with the turn.

If I need to add power, I add a lot and as early as I can, then slip off any excess height whilst aiming to touch down on the numbers.

Why do I do this? Cos one day the donk might stop!

Stik

Flyin'Dutch'
28th Apr 2003, 22:50
Evo wrote:

Is an HR200 the same as a Robin 2120? I'm new to Robins.

Nope they are not.

The 200's dont have the ugly strake which completely spoils the lines.

The metal Robins look better than their Piper counterparts and you have a better vision from the driving seat due to the copious amounts of perspex.

They dont fly half as good as the bent wing wooden ones though. Tough to beat those in grace; handling and economy.

FD

Evo
28th Apr 2003, 23:33
The 200's dont have the ugly strake which completely spoils the lines.

2120 doesn't have a strake. 2160 does.

BlueRobin
29th Apr 2003, 00:00
That's coz it's semi-aerobatic with the injected O-320. Better for slipping?