PDA

View Full Version : Job situation

Flying Farmer
27th Oct 2001, 12:50
Hoping to have that shiny blue licence in my grubby little mit by Feb.
What are the chances of gaining employment in the spring. The major carriers will almost certainly not be hiring, but whats the situation with the cargo carriers, night mail etc.

Wee Weasley Welshman
27th Oct 2001, 15:45
Not great is the short answer. The BALPA employment conference gave some cause for optimism with airlines present in total expecting to hire around 150 pilots next year.

However, with say 150 Virgin, 120 BMI and 60 Gill pilots currently in the market for a new job that requirement is pretty much taken care of.

The low cost carriers are all hiring but expect either a type rating, 1500hrs or a lot of money up front for a job.

Its anyones guess what going to happen to the Charter market next summer but if you read the papers I am sure you have noted that advance sales are down and this week Thomas Cook have layed off thousands.

Its very very difficult to predict the market next year and doubtless someone will take a very different view to my own. But I reckon there will be circa 600 Frzn ATPL holders on the market next year in the UK. There certainly will not be 600 jobs available. At my guesstimate maybe 100 jobs around for low time no type pilots.

The instructing world is not a good option right at the moment either.

If you have some other profession then I sugesst you plan to return to it for a while andf ride out the storm whilst earning enough to keep ratings current.

Cheers,

expedite_climb
27th Oct 2001, 16:36
For your info, my company (Large Uk Charter)prior to Sept 11th had 1300 current C.V's on file.

I find that concerning really !