PDA

View Full Version : Airfield at Rugby?

Ringway Flyer
28th Apr 2003, 03:28
When driving near Rugby this week I passed a notice saying "No to Rugby airfield" Anyone know anything about this?

AerBabe
28th Apr 2003, 03:35
It's about the proposal for building a new international airport in the midland to replace BHX. Basically a case of 'oh no you can't possibly do that...' followed by a request to expand BHX, which suddenly seems not so bad after all.

Anyone know where I can get a 'Yes to Rugby Airfield' car sticker? ;)

Just kidding.

Main reason for protests is that some lovely old Warwickshire villages would be knocked down.

Flyin'Dutch'
28th Apr 2003, 05:01
AB,

Main reason for protests is that some lovely old Warwickshire villages would be knocked down.

:yuk:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

FD

niknak
28th Apr 2003, 05:32
I was recently driving through the area of the proposed development, sure enough there is a vociferous campaign against the airport. But what I found quite ironic was, crossing under the main rail link in the area on several occassions (as you have to on that route), was the devastating noise made by the high speed trains.
I've worked in aviation for over 20 years, and the only experience I can liken it to is the Vulcan or a Nimrod taking off, and the train noise lasted longer.

Funny how the NIMBYs will tolerate trains 24 hours a day, but not modern, relatively quiet aircraft, which would have to folow noise preferantial routes anyway.

BlueRobin
28th Apr 2003, 16:32
Those signs are erected by a few people with loud voices. It's illegal too (fly-posting). They even scared that their voice is now going unheard to the extent that they posted further signs around the area saying "fight the blight".

To spread a little irony, I paid for new new a/c share in their local pub!

They have managed to get a lot of press coverage. The local rags carry an airport page every week. My worry is this. An constant anti-airport message is creating an anti-aviation feeling in the local populus. How long before GA suffers?

topcat450
28th Apr 2003, 18:27
Having been through the affected villages...an airport would be a vast improvement.

TC (Taking cover from ineveitable flak)

AppleMacster
28th Apr 2003, 18:56
Having escaped from Coventry and its environs, I think an airport could only help to bring an influx of new people and money from which the area would undoubtedly benefit.

The issue is covered extensively and relentlessly by the local 'paper. Bizarrely, someone has even written an anti-airport song. You can read all about it and even download the ditty here (http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/airport/)

topcat450
28th Apr 2003, 19:10
That's REAL noise pollution!

BlueRobin
28th Apr 2003, 21:25
Local trivia

There USED to be an airfield nr Rugby in the form of RAF Church Lawford (last seen on the 2001 1/2 mil). Sadly defunct and site being used for gravel extraction. Used to train pilots onto twins, namely the Airspeed Oxford.

AerBabe
28th Apr 2003, 21:54
Church Lawford was one of the points I chose for the BWPA Chairwoman's Challenge competition last year...

Me: "That's Church Lawford"
My co-pilot: "That's a muddy field?!"
Me: "No, the orange-coloured muddy field"

:rolleyes: