PDA

View Full Version : Engine fails, forced landing Ok, now what?

Thumpango
27th Apr 2003, 22:43
Having read the current interesting thread on engine failures and having practiced several PFLS, I can't help but think what happens after the landing, apart of course from the exhilaration of finding yourself/pax and plane still in one piece!?

So, imagine the following scenario:

I am a student and the flying school has sent me on a solo cross country exercise.

All is going to plan...then it all goes horribly quiet! Best glide speed maintained and initial checks made followed by emergency forced landing procedure, nice big green field spotted but appears to have some sort of short crop growing.
This, however, makes a gentle cushion for the successfull landing and after radioing that I am down safely and evacuating I observe with some pride that the line of the crushed crop lays witness to the straight and accurate landing made.

Out of the corner of my eye I notice a tractor heading my way, it appears that farmer Giles doesn't seem as happy about my landing as I am!!
After expressing his relief that I am safe, compensation for the damaged crop is obviously going to be an issue.

What happens now?

1) I assume any compensation and recovery claim is covered under the school's insurance?
2) I assume I should notify my school and the local police asap.
3) I assumeI will need to write a report

Do I assume too much?

Guidance on this theoretical situation would be helpful at this stage- in case it really does happen!

Many thanks!

FNG
27th Apr 2003, 23:02
Based on my experience, very little happened. My instructor called someone at the CAA who said that there was nothing to report (there had been no injuries and no damage). (We did show up as a one line entry in the occurrence reports sent out with GASIL). We landed in a harvested field, so crop damage was not an issue. Any such damage ought to be covered on the aircraft insurance. We did not call the police and I doubt that they would have been interested. The airfield sent a car to get us (another aircraft was circling overhead and had reported our position). We had a big drink.

Mark 1
28th Apr 2003, 18:52
I've been in exactly that situation.

'Had to force land a single seat taildragger in a crop of knee high barley. The wheel tracks were only 40 paces long, but managed to stay right side up as the landing was on an up-gradient.

The farmer was mainly concerned that damage would be done retrieving the aircraft. He had once had a glider retrieve from one of his fields, the glider had done minimal damage, but the van and trailer used for the retrieve managed to flatten about half an acre.

I gave him my insurance details, but as we did no further damage getting the aircraft out (by trailer), I didn't hear any more from him.

witchdoctor
29th Apr 2003, 02:48
Head for nearest pub (always a prime consideration in choice of field), call club to arrange transport, then proceed to drink yourself as silly as funds will allow.;)

Southern Cross
29th Apr 2003, 02:56
But before you hit the yick at the pub, do make sure that it is sufficiently clear to eg the farmer that you were not tanked up when you were flying.... :O

IO540-C4D5D
29th Apr 2003, 17:52
Students assume they are indemnified by the school's insurance, but in most cases this is incorrect. The insurance will pay the school/club, but the insurer can then pursue a subrogation claim against anyone they wish, including the pilot.

I don't know if this has ever happened but you bet it would if you did something which looked deliberate.

topcat450
29th Apr 2003, 18:48
This is going to sound daft...but...if we have the scenario..you land in a farmers field. Your ok...the aircraft is in 1 piece but isn't flying out..the fields too rough etc or a/c is damaged.

So you have to truck the a/c to engineering. Now will a C152 or C172 fit onto the back of a truck easily to be driven to engineering. I mean surely which ever way you stick it onto the truck it'll be overhanging horribly?

Could be amusing having facing 'the right way'....as the truck passed 45 mph the rear end goes light and lifts...could end up being one hell of a low-level flight :}

FNG
29th Apr 2003, 19:01
You'd have to take the wings off and put it on a low loader. There's a guy who advertises an aircraft road transporter in the PFA magazine.

gasax
29th Apr 2003, 20:01
Moving aircraft by road is pretty easy. However before anything happens you need the AAIB and your insurance company to OK it being moved. This will generally mean that you will have to get at least one licensed engineer plus help to the site.

You will also need lifting equipment and a suitable truck. Dismantling an aircraft to move it is quite quick, a couple of hours would do it. Supporting it so there is no further damage might take another couple of hours and a lot of timber/steel/mattresses.

Of course none of this can happen if the AAIB or police are involved in an investigation - or even better if you worthy farmer refuses access - which he can do!

Couple of years ago a Cessna spent 4 months in a field as access was refused until the field was cropped.

In the States it is common to buy 'hirers' insurance, to cover the losses that this sort of incident can lead to. Here the insurance companies will pay reasonable costs for recovery. But if a club is involved and the aircraft cannot be recovered promptly then a club is entitled to take action against the pilot. Moral of the story? Be very nice to the owner of the ground you have arrived on!

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
29th Apr 2003, 21:19
From purely damages perspective, if you have the option, land in crop rather than on a grass field that is near animals. Damge to crop is easily assesed [300 sq. yards of rape seedlings = ££]. If you've spooked animals, claims for aborted calves/foals can go on for months... and be very expensive if they are rare breeds or racehorses :uhoh:
from every farmer in the vicinity, probably... :hmm:

[ RTFM has just done his Landowner Relations Course refresher... ;) ]

LowNSlow
29th Apr 2003, 21:43
Don't forget that cows will literally lick a fabric aeroplane to pieces :uhoh: Apparently they love the taste of aircraft dope / paint.........

PA38
30th Apr 2003, 05:38
I would be too busy on my knees kissing the ground to bother about farmers:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GRP
30th Apr 2003, 16:19
Licking the ground.... been there, done that!! And jumping up and down on it doing some sort of weird dance. Not an engine failure but an instrument failure in IMC. I was a very worried passenger at the time. But boy do I remember how happy I was to be on the ground that day!!

Irv
30th Apr 2003, 16:59
well, from a genuine one last November, after getting out:
1- We suddenly realised there was a genuine danger of an airprox (at least) above us. Everyone on Farnboro frequency (which we'd used for the mayday) in our vicinity seemed to have diverted across out field at about 500' agl to make sure we were OK - they were coming from all directions and all looking down at us looking up. We moved!
2- Found my mobile worked, so phoned home base to phone F'boro although obviously the a/c above would be saying 'no problem'
3- My Mobile then rang - "D&D here - all OK?" - we'd only been in the field less than 5 mins and they'd tracked my number via the airfield.
4- Phoned Magazine publisher, sold story.
5- Found nearest house -owner reacted like it happens every day. He phoned field owner (a pilot!) and then drove us down to his local pub (in case we chose 'the other pub' by mistake) for lunch.
6- We finally got taxi back to the airfield, had coffee, in walked an AAIB man 'off duty' - excellent timing! Says report will be voluntary as no-one hurt, no damage, etc.
7- Next day (Sunday) aircraft moved with helpful field owner (a pilot remember) and 4wd 'tow' through 2 large gates and 2 fields to nearby airstrip
8- Day after that: AAIB man attends his Monday morning 'incidents over the weekend which may need investigation' meeting and when this one was mentioned, surprises his boss by providing a fairly comprehensive report on it.
9- AAIB request voluntary formal report as they want to highlight carb icing to everyone.

topcat450
30th Apr 2003, 17:11
I liked point 4...mind you, I wouldn't to make a living out of it. :)