PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair !!

EGDR
26th Oct 2001, 16:55
This is from BBC News Online

RYANAIR ADMITS FLAWS IN ONLINE RECRUITMENT

Friday, 26 October, 2001, 12:00 GMT 13:00 UK

On the site, pilots are asked to provide detailed information about their flight career, including the type of aircraft flown and how many hours experience they have.

The low-cost airline Ryanair is asking pilots to send confidential details of their career as well as their credit card number over the internet without any protection against hackers.

Potential recruits are asked to fill in a form on Ryanair's website.

But when they submit the information, a message appears warning that the message is being sent via e-mail without encryption for privacy.

CV FEE

They are also asked to pay a fee of £50 to have their CVs considered.

Mr O'Leary defended his company's decision to charge a fee, saying the aim was to reduce spurious applications.

"We're one of the few people in the airline industry actually creating jobs and we're recruiting people to jobs that pay £100,000 a year.

"We have no difficulty in getting people to apply for them."

The security issue is not deterring many hundreds of people applying to us for these well-paid jobs

[ 26 October 2001: Message edited by: EGDR ]

Tug
26th Oct 2001, 17:03
Actually, jobs that pay £6,500. a year. Plus allowances.

Night Rider
27th Oct 2001, 15:14
Well isn't this just f**king typical of our aviation/pilot recruitment industry at present - we've reached a point where we have to actually pay to get a job - I think its a f**king outrage and I wouldn't work for Ryanair if they were the last airline on earth!

Its the old case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Companies like Ryanair are just taking advantage of the unemployed. As if the cost of flight training isn't enough, now there charging folks without even the promise of a job. When is this madness in pilot recruiting going to end????????????????????????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

laurie
27th Oct 2001, 15:31
As a really, really green wannabe I remember talking to my brother about Ryanair and how good they were. All positive of course.

I speak now from the position of being merely a green wannabe (learning a wee bit all the time about the overall pilot situation) and it feels quite bad to see this 'dream idea' evapourate the more I hear, amongst other things, about Ryanair's recruitment and management practices.

Nonetheless we are all in it for the thing we started out for, a love of flying. Now I am lost for words because like the majority of people here - just do not know what the future holds.

It sure is a revelation, and like www often posts, interesting times.

Good luck to everyone battling through this tough career option.

Laurie.

Wee Weasley Welshman
27th Oct 2001, 15:32
When there are more jobs than unemployed CPL holders probably. And that will never happen.

Its a raw deal getting into FRA right now but the money is very good once you are in and got some hours under your belt.

The Guvnor
27th Oct 2001, 20:39
And don't for one minute think that other airlines are not going to copy FR once they see how it goes - it's been the norm in the States for many years and you can bet that the big boys like BA etc would love to cut their high cost of recruitment and selection.

To be fair, a large part of the problem is due to the high number of 'chancers' who will send in their CVs for just about anything regardless of whether or not they are qualified plus a fairly significant number of people who will tailor their CV to what they think the recipient wants to see. This means that there's a cost entailed with weeding those people out - and I suspect that having to hand over a monkey does a pretty good job!

EvilTwinRating
28th Oct 2001, 00:01
Am I just a cynic or was this change in FRs recruitment procedure alarmingly close to the time when about 150 Aer Linus pilots are about to come onto the market?

I used to admire Ryanair but this is just madness. I would not be adverse to paying an applicaion fee nor would I object as strongly to a bond, its the fact that its $15 000 apparantly up front as well as reduced salary and sector pay that gets me.

I would really love for folks to avoid applying to Ryanair on principle, but it's never gonna happen. No doubt this will be a huge success and catch on with all the airlines; becoming yet another hurdle for newbees to climb over.

Not a nice time to be wannabe.

kingfisher03
28th Oct 2001, 02:41
Seems I will never get to even apply to Ryanair, let alone fly for them!

I am not prepared to take on the extra financial burden (I can't put simply) of a 15K rating STILL without the sniff of a job.
'Welcome to RyanAir Training College!'

All this extra financial headache they have imposed may in fact ELIMINATE THE GENUINE APPLICANT, when it comes to 'ab-inito to 300 hour' applications.

Those with rich dads/uncles/whatever can afford to continue fighting their way to the front of the line, whilst those whose have self-financed and now pay to maintain their licences will simply fall out the system.

The spoilt bratts will get the jobs, get bored of their new toy after six months of having to work, and sod off.

In anycase, I would not 'wish' to work with this outfit from what i've seen first hand as a pax, even if the money is good!

Shed flying at Streamline has more appeal

basil fawlty
29th Oct 2001, 05:48
I believe that we are witnessing one aspect of the slow conversion of professional flying, from a job where raw talent coupled with boundless enthusiasm yielded a career opportunity, into a "reserved" occupation for those with rich and/or well connected families.....(like barristers for example)

MorningGlory
30th Oct 2001, 16:33
BF,

You're spot on and it really stinks. After all the heartache, struggle, tests and money you'd think you'd welcome to an airline with open arms even if it was on a crap salary for a bit!
But no, those who do get well deserved interviews are being asked questions like: Do you have the enthusiasm and MOTIVATION?? to do this job?????????????
I rest my case........