PDA

View Full Version : Value For Money In USA 0 to multi IR

burgerjim
27th Apr 2003, 06:02
Hi
I am thinking of going to the US to start along the long road to becomng a commercial pilot. I dont have loads of cash and that is why I want to go to the US as it is cheaper. Does anyone know of any good schools with reasonable prices. Any help would be appreciated.
Josh.

moopoo
27th Apr 2003, 11:25
I started in the US doing JAA licenses, there is a place in Long Beach that does them all the way to ATPL I think http://www.ukft.com/ . I started flying at Naples Air Center in FL http://www.naples-air-center.com/index2.htm , they were very good but I think they have closed due to insurance dificulties. If I were you I would look into schools in Florida or Los Angeles as they seem to be the best value in the states. I just finished my multi with a frelance guy in LA, very good value http://www.freewebs.com/cplamel/. Hope this helps and good luck.

Seaweed Knees
29th Apr 2003, 15:08
I went to UKFT to find out about licence conversions and was not impressed. They took me for an idiot, trying to sell me overpriced courses with unnecessary ad-ons. I read a post on pprune a while back in which someone described them as used car salesmen, and that is exactly how they seemed to me.
I did my PPL at ADP in California, and am currently doing my instrument/multi ratings with the freelance guy as mentioned above.
He's good, but I suggest you opt for slightly more than the cheapest accomodation he offers, which is $250.:p

Aviation Trainer too
29th Apr 2003, 15:40
I did some hour building at Orlando Flight Training which is part of the Cabair family and felt that they were a good outfit. Not great but that is due to the American influence but better than most US schools.

I would suggest get a PPL / FATPL and hour building in the States and at that point decide whether you want to do the Multi/IR/CPL in the US or in the UK at a great outfit like Bristol or Professional Air Training in Bournemouth.

Good luck

thatwasclose
14th May 2003, 17:39
If you are after value then checkout levellandaviation.com. The school is in Texas, but the prices are hard to beat when you through in housing and all other costs. The people are honsest and the planes are safe, and its cheap.

ncusack
14th May 2003, 20:45
Hi Guys;
I am totally totally lost at this point!! I have been researching these topics for weeks now and I still cannot figure out what licenses I need and who they need to be issued by in order to qualify to apply for a European Airline job such as Ryanair or Aer Lingus. I believe a Frozen ATPL is the starting point but what else?

Can anyone please post the steps required to become a license commercial pilot in Europe on the likes of a B737? If I do this training in the US is it valid in Europe?

Sorry but I am at the end of my tether!!!

CHeers
Niall

Charlie Zulu
17th May 2003, 03:21
Hello ncusack,

To qualify as a candidate to the European Airlines you will require something called a JAA ATPL. This can be a full ATPL or a "frozen" ATPL.

You cannot apply to european airlines unless you have a JAA licence, so an FAA ATP simply won't do in the case of european airlines (however it is nice to have both countries licences - opens up the corporate market a bit more especially with more and more N reg bizjets in Europe now).

The route to one of those coverted licences normally takes the following route:

1) JAA PPL.
2) Hour Building to 150 Hours Total Time (inc 100 Hours P1).
3) Study for and pass ATPL Exams. This normally consists of 2 modules with exams at the end of each module. This step can be whilst carrying out step 2 (see above).
4) Once you have Steps 1, 2 and 3 you can train for the JAA CPL.
5) JAA IR (Multi Engine - NOT Single Engine) Course.
6) MCC / CRM Course
7) JAA FI(R) - Flight Instructor rating (restricted - ie no sending out students on their first solos etc) - not an essential rating but quite practical, especially in this day and age with **many** more applicants then there are airline jobs!!!

At the end of that lot you will have a JAA CPL/IR with MCC/CRM courses completed. As you will have passed your ATPL Ground Exams this will also mean you effectively have a JAA "frozen" ATPL. The ATPL will become a full one (ie, not frozen) once you have enough hours, 1500 total with something like 500 multi crew time (on aeroplanes requiring two pilots) among other requirements.

Airlines such as Ryanair, Easyjet, etc... require you to have a JAA ATPL that is either full ("un-frozen") or frozen. Ie, at a bare minimum you will require a JAA CPL/IR (multi) with the ATPL Examinations passed. You cannot be a captain of an airliner until you have a full JAA ATPL (and considerable experience in the right hand seat).

There is another route to the modular route above and that is integrated. The integrated route takes you from 0 hours all the way up to a JAA "frozen" ATPL with around 200 hours total time in a little over a year, but it is an expensive option (well both routes are extremely expensive!).

Good luck and Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu

ncusack
17th May 2003, 04:12
CharlieZulu;
Thanks alot. Very informative;

Rgds
ncusack

B2N2
19th May 2003, 00:44
Doing everything JAA in Europe is going to be very expensive.
Flying in the US is roughly half the cost if not less.
Doing an FAA commercial IR will be a great stepping stone for returning to Europe to do the finish up training. At least you'll have the experience already.
A lot of your time building can be done in the US, there is no requirement as to where the hours have to be flown.
While you're at it check out www.eaa-fly.com
:D