PDA

View Full Version : Flying / Driving Instruction Dual Career?

tacpot
26th Apr 2003, 22:48
Has anyone heard about or thought about combining flying instruction with driving instruction, as a method of evening out the various problems inherent in Flying Instruction; e.g. poor wages from impoverished flying schools, down time due to weather, lack of job security, tax issues etc.

The two disciplines appear to be very closely linked, and yet I have never heard of anyone trying to combine the two.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts or experiences on this idea.

GT
27th Apr 2003, 20:45
Interestingly (possibly) our CFI used to be a driving instructor before he started flying instruction, I believe. I don't think he had the two occupations at the same time though.

DB6
27th Apr 2003, 21:28
Mate of mine does although his driving instruction is on racetracks. It's reflected in his aerobatics :eek: :E

Snigs
28th Apr 2003, 15:52
I instruct (part time) and my wife is a driving instructor. I personally wouldn't recommend combining the two.

As an instructor you need to be constantly alert because all driving or flying students are going to try to kill you once in a while, that is very mentally tiring which could compromise your safety and that of the students. And what a nightmare juggling your bookings would be!

Just my humble opinion though! :ok:

tweaky
4th May 2003, 22:57
I agree that doing both jobs at once would be difficult. However it seems to me that more/most (?) PPL level training takes place in summer. I'd like to be a career instructor but fulltime just won't pay the mortage. If I can occupy myself during the quieter winter periods then that would help both myself and the school .

Does anyone know of a culture where schools hire extra FI(R)s for busier times of year?