PDA

View Full Version : European licensing in Canada

Speedbird eh!
26th Apr 2003, 14:19
Does anyone know if there are any flying schools in Canada whch offer any CAA/JAR training ? The United States and most other other Commonwealth countries seem to offer them.

Cheers

FougaMagister
28th Apr 2003, 04:59
Hi - never heard about JAR-FCL flight training in Canada - that would actually have been my preferred option when I started flight training, but none of the Canadian flight schools that advertised then (or now) specify such training.

As you correctly mention, the British CAA has audited and approved FTOs in the United States, Australia and South Africa (and probably now New Zealand with CTC/McAlpine), but there doesn't seem to be any JAA FTO in Canada - pity really. It might be that Canadian flight schools have enough business with their (highly regarded) Transport Canada licences and therefore don't bother to ask for CAA/JAA approval in the first place; being a European thing, it means LOTS of paperwork and bureaucratic hardship - the FTO I initially trained with in Florida decided to pull the plug on its JAA department mainly for that reason.

For the best info though, try the CAA website at www.srg.caa.co.uk, then "Flight Crew Licensing", then check Standards Document 31, where you will find a list of JAA approved FTOs.

Best of luck...

pittss2b
28th Apr 2003, 09:03
We have been working towarding JAA approval but it's going to take a long time...the CAA is in no rush it seems.

We are working with a school in the UK to develop a program that allows a smooth tranisition to the JAA system. We are still working out the details, feel free to email if you have questions. [email protected]

Adam
www.harvsair.com

FlyingForFun
28th Apr 2003, 16:25
Are you doing (or planning on doing) a modular course? If so, have you done your hour building yet? You can always do your hour building in Cananda - there's no requirement to do that at an approved school.

FFF
--------------