PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair ad hoc Services

sparkymarky
26th Apr 2003, 01:32
Ryanair recently announced a special flight from Dublin - Perpignon to meet demand for the Heineken Cup rugby semi finals.

Is there any possiblity they might do similar from Prestwick to the south of Spain(Jerez, Malaga or Seville itself) for the UEFA Cup final? Minimum 25,000 pax forecast - more speculative tabloids forecasting 50,000 pax. Majority transiting over 3 - 5 day period!

Findo
27th Apr 2003, 07:18
Well spotted sparkymarky

A really good idea. My information is that they will run dozens of charters to Seville south ( Gibraltar ) and have brokered a deal with Electra who have some 757s free. Electra promise they will all depart PIK by May 22nd at latest. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wish they could respond that quickly

sparkymarky
28th Apr 2003, 01:31
Heh, nice bit of sarcastic humour Findo (or is it irony, I'm never sure).

Actually I was thinking of applying for a job with Ryanair Ops, as the day after posting that idea I saw a suggestion in a Scottish tabloid that they might be taking a few planes off Prestwick - Stansted to fly to southern Spain. Could be bit difficult though, as most of the seats to Stansted are already selling to people wanting to connect with other flights to Europe.

The Gibraltar joke is a bit close to the truth - BA and Monarch have more or less sold out their flights to Gibraltar on the relevant days.

On a broader note, at a time of such widespread bad news in the air industry, I'm surprised people haven't been quicker to pick up on the opportunity this presents. There must be plenty spare capacity available to be deployed.

positive
28th Apr 2003, 19:45
Ryanair's website has a direct flight from Dublin to Seville on 21st of may leaving at 7.30 and returning the 22nd at 4.00 in the morning.I checked the prices for the flight and it came out at 499 euro including taxes,not exactly too cheap!

jetstream7
28th Apr 2003, 23:37
Not cheap - that's true, but how does it compare with what else is avaiable?

Expedia - 1162 Euro inc taxes for a return from Dublin to Seville - need an overnight stay otherwise you can't get back before the footy finishes - so that'll be another 115 - 145 Euro for a hotel (if you can find one....)

Taking this into consideration and the following points, Ryanair looks good value...!

- Flights when you want them
- No connections
- Shorter flight time
- Cheaper prices

sparkymarky
29th Apr 2003, 00:08
The seats will be sold. No doubt about it. The Glasgow travel agents selling short trips for the final are being besieged.

As I said before, the industry is in a slump, here are thousands of people wanting flights, yet the supply of additional seats is slow.

Compare with the response of the Spanish hoteliers. As soon as the demand was made known, their trade association was in the media pledging noone would go without a bed. All hotels within 150 miles of Seville were put on alert to take as many customers as possible, buses laid on, etc.

Seems that entrepreneurship is a dying art in the UK!

rentaghost
30th Apr 2003, 01:24
Monarch are putting on over 2,700 seats (each way) via the charter / package market so hopefully that will 'dent' FR's chances of ripping people off with their service!!!

sparkymarky
30th Apr 2003, 04:11
Where are they selling them? I don't see any mention on their website?