PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Law - Quadrantal rule Qs?

Ray Ban
23rd Oct 2001, 16:25
I have just finished my ATPL Law module and there was no mention of the quadrantal rule, only the obvious semi-circular rule. However, browsing through JAR feedback I have a seen a number of Qs on the subject. Now I thought the quadrantal rule was specific to the UK only and hence did not apply to JAR. Even my instructor got a shock when I said that I had seen quadrantal rule Qs!

Can anyone shed light on this subject? I appreciate that the rule is easy to apply but it does not appear to be in the JAR objectives and therefore what's the point of the objectives in the first place?

Thanks.

Megaton
23rd Oct 2001, 17:57
There was a question on the quadrantal rule in the air law exam I sat a few months ago. There were also questions on the minimum age for a PPL holder and some spurious question regarding minimum hours for PPL with an IR. What have these to do with an ATPL? And can you find these in the JAR objectives? Now, I realise I should know the minimum age for a PPL but it is still damn irritating to find questions like these in the JAR ATPL exams.

gazelle507
23rd Oct 2001, 18:21
The answer to your question is that the quadrantal rules are in fact ICAO and can be found in the ICAO ANNEXES. As JAA Law is based on the annexes it may be questioned in the exams. You are correct in saying that it is only the UK that uses the quadrantal rule.
As for the other dubious questions; well, the mind boggles. :confused:

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: gazelle507 ]

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: gazelle507 ]

Island Hopper
23rd Oct 2001, 19:46
It may well be found amongst the annexes, but it sure ain't mentioned in the learning objectives!

Avadoo
23rd Oct 2001, 23:50
Familiar confusion!

During the last few rounds of the old U.K.(national)exams, the questions frequently
started with the wording 'under JAR'.

A nice little stumbler as you had studied
what you thought was U.K only theory,and an excellent waste of precious time pondering if Europe was any different . I still wonder how many 74%s those questions managed to produce !!

A nasty-mail to the nice people at Gatwick
got the obvious response "We presume UK ATPL
holders to operate in Europe and beyond and
would expect them to have a basic knowledge
of other countries air-laws"

WHAT ???

Just learn as much as you can- you will get there,this is only one of the many hurdles
you will tackle along the way!!

Base leg
24th Oct 2001, 00:33
just remember in UK Airways you fly semi-circular- elsewhere (in UK) quadrantal rule