PDA

View Full Version : best airport

AT463
23rd Apr 2003, 23:01
If it hasn't been asked before and if you dont mind me asking. Where is the best airport in the world and which in your opinion is the worst. Be it food, service, landing, takeoff, etc. I just want to know. thanks.

WhiteDevil
23rd Apr 2003, 23:09
Gatwick airport!!

Not too busy, easy to spot all the traffic in both terminals.. Gets varied traffic, from A320 - B747.

Takeoff on the runway is comfortable, its not so short that the pilot is at 30 degree flap to get off the runway. And landing is easy with plenty of room for a landing roll...

AOG-YYZ
23rd Apr 2003, 23:31
Regional best would be a toss-up between Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) and Fort Myers (RSW) both Florida airports. International best would be Singapore Changi (SIN). The worst would be Manchester (MAN). Just my opinion. :D

jmc_757-200
24th Apr 2003, 04:06
Hi,
How can you say MAN is he worst, its the best in the world. Its comfortable, cleen, modern, the staff are very helpful (there where aswell today). They are getting a new Transpost Interchange, T1 is nearly complete and so far looks very good.

Thanks

jmc_757-200

chiglet
24th Apr 2003, 04:57
jmc,
AOG has his own reasons for hating MANCHESTER , not [just] the airport.
As for me.....Why did they take the chandeleers[speeling?] down?
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

FILTONFELLA
24th Apr 2003, 06:10
Without doubt the BEST has to be Filton, even though it's more of an airfield than an airport. The reason why it's so good is coz we got a great team there, esp. in ATC. Great place to work and we love visitors, so please drop by and check it out for yourselves.;)

Caslance
24th Apr 2003, 06:58
AOG-YYZ:
The worst would be Manchester (MAN). Just my opinion

Imagine my surprise!!!

Just let it go, AOG-YYZ, just let it go.;)

BTW, I was at LGW at the weekend. It is a nasty place, and seemed to be full of vagabonds and ne'er-do-wells.

Danny_R
24th Apr 2003, 08:16
LOL, im with you JMC, my fav is Manchester. Clean and always relatively busy, not to mention easy access, also has a great tower. Again only my opinion ;)

AOG-YYZ
24th Apr 2003, 08:45
OK Caslance, OK;)

WhiteDevil
24th Apr 2003, 16:18
"BTW, I was at LGW at the weekend. It is a nasty place, and seemed to be full of vagabonds and ne'er-do-wells."

Well then my second vote goes to Ioannis Kapidistrias airport in Corfu, Greece. Very beautiful even if the runway has water on one side and at the end and extends onto manmade land..

The terminal is small and friendly and has plenty of facilites, even if you cant see outside at night because of the glare from the lights inside :ok:

T Hairy Henry
24th Apr 2003, 18:05
Best: Cape Town (look where you end up)

Worst: Heathrow (the place is a hole, and look where you end up)

Scottie Dog
24th Apr 2003, 20:37
Did AOG-YYZ use to go under another pseudonym!

Sounds as if he/she has very similar views as Onan (if I remember correctly).

Scottie Dog

tampabay
24th Apr 2003, 21:32
Orlando Intl has to be the very best in the world. Its very big but all areas are easily accessable. Access to the airport is very easy and straight forward. The ATC in the area are great, the climate is fantastic and there are very few delays....all in all the perfect airport and as a previous poster put it " look where you end up"

AOG-YYZ
24th Apr 2003, 22:28
tampabay wrote: "the climate is fantastic"

Well not over the last Christmas holiday it wasn't. In fract it was so cold that we had to buy sweaters from the 'Rainforest Cafe' at 'Pleasure Island'. In the end we went further south to Miami to complete our holiday.

In late January early Feb we spent a very pleasant week in Clearwater playing golf (Tides, Mangrove Bay, Airco, Rocky Point, Bardmore). TPA should once again be an excellent airport when the construction work is finished.:)

GrahamK
25th Apr 2003, 00:45
Manchester is a good airport, right up until the point you get to T1 departures (especially around gates 22-24 or that way anyway) ;)
However, as a pax I prefer out of NCL probably because its closest to me and its usally clean and the bar is stocked up :ok:

Danny_R
25th Apr 2003, 00:53
Orlando Int very few delays, yea but when there are delays they can be very long. I was stuck in Orlando int for 14 hours, not very nice when all you want to do is go home and not to mention all the shops had closed....

chiglet
25th Apr 2003, 02:55
Scottie
Yes, you are right yet again, Onan/yyg is the "Masked Stranger":sad:
Buy you a pint soon
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

glynn-kayes
25th Apr 2003, 06:35
BEST---------bfs,,,,,WORST-----------------bhd

Hong Kong Layover
25th Apr 2003, 22:18
Dubai and changi (singopore) -the best!

US air ports-hopeless!!

Standard Noise
26th Apr 2003, 01:46
Best - Bristol Intl or Belfast City

Worst - Aldergrove (run by idiots, loved by morons)

surely not
26th Apr 2003, 03:16
Danny R you cannot be talking about Orlando Int as a passenger. Arriving on BA and leading the pack towards Baggage reclaim and the exit to the courtesy buses I thought the signage to be amongst the worst I have seen at any airport.

Plus there is the nonsense of the security search for inbound passengers because the terminal cannot cope with segregation of International arriving and Domestic departing pax.

Very pretty, but lacking in practicality.

LGW is looking very tired in most areas, except the Duty Free, and the walks are horrendous.
LHR is shambolic and its growth poorly managed.
FRA is a mish mash with horrendous queueing problems at peak times
San Francisco was very good for a larger airport, and I've always liked AMS as an airport though I know others who hate it.

Oh well, It's all subjective;)

Danny_R
26th Apr 2003, 04:50
It was quite some time ago I was in Orlando Int, as I recall its a nice airport to look at but when it comes to travelling it can be a real strain on the legs

Caslance
26th Apr 2003, 08:33
AOG-YYZ:

You let me know if you ever come over here again, mate, and I'll show you the nicer side of That City Across The Irwell!:ok:

johnwalton
27th Apr 2003, 00:45
Have to say that when I flew from MAN couple of weeks ago it was shocking. I perhaps could have put up with the engineering works in Terminal 1 had they been completely segregated from the passengers, but they wernt, which meant dust was everywhere. On top of that there wern't nearly enough seats for all the flights departing on a Saturday afternoon, and to top it all off, the handling agent put everyone's baggage on the wrong flight which meant almost an hours delay. Also, I think it is silly how to get to and from many of the gates you have to go down/climb stairs to get either side of the main corridor. I can't see many elderly people being to happy with that.

On balance, I flew from Terminal 2 about 18 months ago and it was better, although I was delayed then also.

NCL will be much better once they have increased the size of the international departures, and I would fly from NCL anytime the flight was available.

Of all the foreign airports i've been to, I would say that the new one in Fuerteventura is probably the nicest.

MerchantVenturer
27th Apr 2003, 05:31
Posted by FILTONFELLA:

"Without doubt the BEST has to be Filton, even though it's more of an airfield than an airport. The reason why it's so good is coz we got a great team there, esp. in ATC. Great place to work and we love visitors, so please drop by and check it out for yourselves."

It is a great pity that the City Fathers and Mothers of Bristol did not have more foresight when they were offered Filton to replace the old Whitchurch Airport in the mid 1950s. Instead they went to Lulsgate.

Don't misunderstand me; Lulsgate (BRS) is a first class regional airport and its progress has been remarkable, especially so given all its disadvantages, not least its location and poor transport links.

Nevertheless, had Filton been chosen all those years ago it would certainly be approaching the size of BHX in passenger numbers now, if not bigger.

The adjacent motorways, main line rail links and proximity to the South Midlands, South Wales and western Home Counties would surely have pushed it into a league above Lulsgate. And it would still be equally accessible to the far south west as is Lulsgate, probably more so because it would me motorway all the way from Exeter.

In the 1990s Bae tried to get Filton licensed as a sort of giant London City airport but the Conservative government minister (Selwyn Gummer) rejected the application following a public enquiry (I am sure you are aware of all this FF).

I suspect now that BRS will prevail. I can't see either Pilning or the oft-suggested Severnside Airport ever happening.

Joe Curry
27th Apr 2003, 18:55
I liked Narita..hated Osaka...not keen on Brisbane.
or Birmingham .

MCO's double baggage reclaim was the pits...

SFB is...anyone notice how the floor in the departure lounge
creaks? Ominous or what.?:(

28th Apr 2003, 05:05
The only airport that i have flown out of is Manchester so i have to say it is manchester, But my dad has flown from The John Lennon Airport Liverpool and he says it is not a bad airport. The worst has to be Dalaman Turkey.

Best Regards

AOG-YYZ
28th Apr 2003, 07:36
"The worst has to be Dalaman, Turkey".

Only if you haven't tried Pearson (YYZ). :D

blaireau
28th Apr 2003, 16:31
Worst Paris CDG. Best Singapore. Just done it last night and what a miserable experience at CDG both in pax and operating mode.

rubberduck
28th Apr 2003, 16:47
If we are talking from an Airline Pilot,s viewpoint and having flown in and out of most European Airports since the 70,s my selection from the busiest World class airports would undoubtedly be Schiphol.. anyone who flew into AMS in 70,s and 80,s before security took over our lives would have to remember the superb Crewcentre with its open plan facilities,the one-level departure floor,superb taxi/runways. AMS was designed in the 60,s and could still rubbish LHR or MAN today.

MerchantVenturer
28th Apr 2003, 18:59
rubberduck,

From a passenger's viewpoint I love Schipol too.

I regularly pass through it, either as a transit passenger or as my final destination. It's simgle terminal is simplicity itself, and there is something to look at when waiting to change a/c.

And of course, everyone speaks English, usually better English than many native English speakers.

When I go inter-continental I wouldn't dream of flying via anywhere else. Although I only live a hundred miles from LHR it is much easier, often quicker and usually no more expensive, to go from my local airport via AMS.

Little Blue
28th Apr 2003, 19:29
Airports worked in...
Schipol, of course......dream to work in
and plenty of attractive Dutch ladies to ogle at..
East Mids....but I am biased..
The worst !!!!....CDG.....yeuuch...looks
like it was designed by Albert Speer........!
...Maybe it was.....

DILLIGAF !