PDA

View Full Version : Compton

Hampstead
22nd Apr 2003, 16:24
A couple of us flew in Compton Abbas from Blackbushe on Friday and hung about for a while, had lunch etc. Has to be the friendliest, most approachable (sic) place I've been to. All sorts of interesting aircraft kept flying in too. Great...

Anyone else visit anywhere new that's worth recommending ?

FlyingForFun
22nd Apr 2003, 17:31
Have to agree - it's definitely a favourite of mine. Great place to take non-pilot pax for their first ever light aircraft flight, too - not only is it a beautiful airfield with friendly staff and good food, it's also a nice distance, some good scenery on the way, I don't have to get too busy on the R/T to pay attention to my pax.

I need to find an excuse to go back there!

FFF
------------

pulse1
22nd Apr 2003, 18:13
FFF,

Have you been there since the falconry has been there? If not, you now have your excuse. I popped in there last week and sat and enjoyed a superb demonstration of low flying. I believe that they lay them on regularly during the day.

AerBabe
22nd Apr 2003, 18:29
If anyone except FFF needs an excuse to go to Compton Abbas, I might be moving to a place 15 min away in a month ish. It's going to feel like the other side of the world because most of my friends are in the Midlands. Please please please fly down and say hello and rescue me from being trapped with my parents... :{

Whirlybird
23rd Apr 2003, 00:14
Aerbabe,

If I can afford it and get an aircraft, I'll fly into Compton. I still remember it fondly from when you and I flew in there for fuel. Lovely little airfield. You lucky sod; you'll be able to have it as your home airfield!!!!

big.al
23rd Apr 2003, 00:30
Pulse1 -

Odd question perhaps, but isn't it a little strange to have a Falconry at (or very near) an airfield? Birds of the feathered and propeller-driven variety don't mix too well, and I would have thought it impractical to NOTAM the times of every flying display. Just curious as to how they make this safe for all, especially the birds of prey...:p

tomcs
23rd Apr 2003, 01:21
I did my PPL there and i remember the approaches well :)!!

The falconry centre is there so that all the normal birds which might flock there are right royally scared off!

Its much better to have just two big well trained birds than a couple of hundred pigeons etc...

Tom

Fly Stimulator
23rd Apr 2003, 02:05
I read somewhere that Madonna (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55969) has migrated back to America recently. If so, this is presumably welcome news for Compton Abbas as well as for music lovers on this side of the Atlantic.

BlueRobin
23rd Apr 2003, 19:30
"compton radio, golf golf oscar sierra sierra is a jodel inbound from Bidford, ETA min. 4 weeks"

SO should be able to it from then AB ;)

pulse1
23rd Apr 2003, 19:49
big al,

I noticed that the falconer had a hand held radio so would be aware of most aircraft movements.

Aerbabe,

Is that 15 minutes by air or road? It takes me about 25 minutes to drive to Compton from the south. A great place to live and infinitely better than the Midlands. I moved there from Bedford. However, it is known as a career trap. Few want to move away to improve their career prospects.

AerBabe
23rd Apr 2003, 20:22
Pulse1 - that's 15 minutes by road (I'm guessing by looking at the map). I'm only moving there because I'm living with my parents at the moment and they're buying a place there. As for careers, well I'm young enough that the job is more important than where I live... Although having said that I have some very good friends in the Midlands and access to a very reasonably priced chipmunk (gotta get my priorities right!).

pulse1
23rd Apr 2003, 22:38
well I'm young enough that the job is more important than where I live...

Ah! They all say that until they've lived there. I've been there for 37 years and I've seen so many colleagues change their priorities, having been most critical of those who have already done it. I have been lucky to have a reasonable career in the area except, for the last decade, I have had to drive about 60 miles to work.

Still, if you fancy some boring C172 flying while you're "stuck" there. let me know.

NineEighteen
23rd Apr 2003, 23:56
I fancy flying down to Compton Abbas. Does anyone know a good route to take from Biggin Hill?

I guess Guildford, Midhust VOR then through the Solent CTA...It looks a little daunting to a low hourer like me! :uhoh:

Evo
24th Apr 2003, 00:20
The route through Southampton's airspace is normally Bishop's Waltham -> Romsey, which looks a bit out of your way. Why not go through Farnborough's MATZ and route around the north of the Solent CTA?

PhilD
24th Apr 2003, 01:15
NineEighteen

Don't be daunted, as an (as you put it) low hourer you need to keep practicing the planning, navigating and RT skills that you made such an effort to learn to get your licence or you will get rusty very quickly.

I did Shoreham - Compton as one of the legs of my QXC, including the transit over Southampton. If my instructor though I could do it then I'm sure any PPL should be able to do it.

PhilD

Saab Dastard
24th Apr 2003, 04:57
NineEighteen

Good question - I suggest routing via Petersfield because it is a good landmark and a good distance from the Solent zone to get yourself sorted out if you are at all anxious about the R/T. You can always hold over Petersfield while you wait to get your call in.

As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me what height Solent would normally expect to clear you Bishops Waltham - Romsey? And can anyone tell me what makes Bishops Waltham a good VRP? :confused: I've flown there twice now and there is nothing meaningful there at all!

Cheers

SD

AerBabe
24th Apr 2003, 05:12
Pulse1 "if you fancy some boring C172 flying while you're "stuck" there. let me know"

Thanks very much for the offer, would love to. I'll give you a shout when I get down there. Looks like there may well be an autumn fly-in developing too... And C172s don't have to be boring. ;)