PDA

View Full Version : MCC Course - Any recommendations?

Teroc
21st Apr 2003, 09:38
Hi All,
Just wondering if any of you can recommend a decent MCC course. Any info about pricing/sim type etc greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Teroc

FougaMagister
21st Apr 2003, 17:16
Hi Teroc - my advice: go for the MCC courses where you are faced with heavier equipment, "full-motion" sims, EFIS, MCDU, AFDS, autothrottle etc, unless you only want a course completion certificate without the added exposure to these new systems.
As the "icing on the cake", the MCC is another thing that can make your CV stand out - important these days.
I do believe it's worth the extra £700-800 or so; I did quite a bit of research before doing my own MCC in Jan., so here are my conclusions:

- Oxford (www.oxfordaviation.net): 2 week course, £2795 inc., 20 hrs. on 737-400 sim, 10 as PF, 10 as PNF, airline procedures/checklists, good value for money. Can provide cheap accommodation/full board

- Jetlink (www.jetlinx.co.uk); 2-week, 757-200 sim at Cranebank, active trng cpts. w/ BA, Virgin, one session/month, more expensive at £3050 inc.

- Multicrew (www.multicrew.co.uk) at Bournemouth; £2820 inc, L-1011 Tristar sim, 2-week course, ex-trng cpts. w/ BA, SIA etc., but no EFIS etc.

- Flight Safety at Le Bourget in Paris ([email protected]); 2 week course, promotional price £2500, EMB-120 Brasilia sim, but you have to go there and get accommodation. Course in English.

- AIRMED (www.airmed.es) in Valencia, AEROMADRID (www.aeromadrid.com) on A320 sims, up to 4 weeks, more expensive at around £3500, and AEROFAN (www.aerofanfto.com), 4 weeks, roughly same price, 757-200 sim or Citation V.

- BAE Systems Flight Training at Jerez (www.baesystems.es), 2 weeks course, HS 125-800 full motion sim w/ EFIS, 4000 Euros (£2700) accommodation/full board inc.

- There are also options in Ireland, but no info there.

Hope that helps.

Before you ask, I went for the Oxford MCC. Only training I did with them, but very happy to recommend it.

Cheers.

WEBLUEIT
22nd Apr 2003, 21:42
I did an MCC last year with Multicrew down at Bournemouth on the Tristar and would recommend it.

The training is done by ex BA/Virgin training captains. The chance to get 20 hrs poling around in a tristar was brilliant. I know people say an MCC is about teaching CRM etc, which it is, but handling a big jet sim is great practice for when you get your first sim assessment for a job. (remember you only really learn about CRM when you actually start your first multicrew flying job)

I was luck enough to get an interview just months after doing this and did not find the sim ride intimidating at all because of this experience.

Take a mate along and you both save £100.

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2003, 01:48
I did mine with Atlantic.

As with all these courses its the instructors which make the difference.

Atlantic seem to have a good way of doing it. A non pilot doing the ground stuff. Which i think is more subjective.

And an experenced ex skipper doing the sim work.

Personally i don't want to go straight onto Jet so turboprop sim was fine for me.

As personal thumbs up Les who did my training is an utter gentleman who has the nack of instructing. Never a raised word, subjective and pushes you in manner which aids learning.

MJ

Mister Geezer
24th Apr 2003, 03:12
What you did your MCC on will make no difference to an employer. It will only make a difference to you since you might be able to get more out of one course compared to another. As long as you have your MCC then that is the main thing.

mad_jock... was that you who was taking off at ABZ last Friday evening bound for INV? Was that a legal charter??? :)

MJR
25th Apr 2003, 18:01
Where as I think there is some value in having experience on a full motion sim in reality most MCC training is done with the A/P on therefore little raw data flying.

I did my MCC at the Flight centre at Wolverhampton, it cost £1800 and was most enjoyable. The sim is a generic EFIS turbo prop. As has been stated in previous MCC posts you dont want to spend too much time trying to learning how to fly the sim otherwise you will miss the benefit of the MCC.

cheers
MJR

mad_jock
26th Apr 2003, 04:28
Nah the J31 Captain who needed to catch his flight passed his 1hr with an instructor for his SEP with a recomendation that he practises his landings. ;)

It was a gorgeous trip back though.

MJ

Mister Geezer
26th Apr 2003, 04:42
When it comes to the MCC try and get as much hands on flying as possible. The auto pilot is there but try and fly manually as much as possible because you will get much more out of the time spent!

mad_jock

Don't pull the wool over my eyes - I don't believe that for a minute!!! :D I took off shortly after you in that 3 ship formation. I agree... nice evening!