PDA

View Full Version : PPL at Glasgow EGPF

LiamMc
21st Apr 2003, 08:22
Hello!

I am thinking about joining GFC in the next couple of weeks, and was wondering if there are any members here who could shed some light on their experiences with the club. I've browsed their website and although landing fees are extortionate (good old BAA) their rates seem reasonable enough.

I did my trial flight last summer from CBN in a C150, which I enjoyed... but the money dried up. I have reconsidered and now I think I'll go for Glasgow because

1) Its closer
2) IMO it would be better to be in the circuit #2 to a 757 than a Katana ::=
3) Its a better experience with R/T, zone clearances, busier.

I'm guessing I'll be taught in one of the two tomahawks.

Anyway, I've got a few hundred pounds to get me started (membership, few lessons, book(s)) and was wondering if anyone could gimme any advice...

I also have a mate there who says they have visits to ScACC and PF TWR occasionally for members... I have visited TWR before on Work Experience but I'd have stayed all day if I got the chance (a compliment to any PF ATC reading).

Anyway I'm rabbling on a bit here... any help is appreciated either reply or by email:

[email protected]

Thanks in Advance.

==================
Liam McCann
Wanabee Pilot/ATC

incubus
22nd Apr 2003, 00:54
Hi Liam.

Your reasoning is sound, in my opinion.
My initial 30 hours were done out of Dundee on a RAF Flying Scholarship. Tayside Aviation pretty much had the airfield to themselves back then, apart from very infrequent commercial traffic, and often we were giving blind calls over the RT.

I didn't have the cash to continue till a bit later and started up at Aberdeen - very much the same situation as you will be at Glasgow. I feel it was the right thing to do - training out of a busy commercial airport gives you plenty of practice and awareness of large traffic, vortex separation, RT calls, zone clearances etc. On the downside, your lookout doesn't develop as well as circuit traffic tends to be less chaotic and you get very good at flying in circles at 1000' aal :-)

Wherever you go it is not cheap, but learning from Class D will stand you in good stead for the future.

Celtic Frog
22nd Apr 2003, 03:13
Don't know who the instructors are now at Glasgow, but as an ex Glasgow instructor from many years ago, I'd recommend it for all the reasons you mentioned. Also, the local flying area (Loch Lomond) is breathtaking scenery.
Enjoy it.

PIK1967
22nd Apr 2003, 03:44
Hi Liam.
Have you thought about PIK.
Although not controlled Airspace,on the majority of your cross countries,you`ll have to go through the Glasgow Zone,plus plenty of heavies to mix it with in the circuit!!!!!!!

Enjoy your flying,
B Logan.:)

Fancy Navigator
22nd Apr 2003, 04:49
Hi Liam
One thing to consider is that you might waste a lot of time holding to let commercial traffic in.... time for which you will probably pay and not learn much....
On top of that, landing fees are quite expensive....
Cheers:O

murphy1901
22nd Apr 2003, 06:21
Hi Liam

You've asked the exact same question I asked some friends who are PPL holders at the start of this year!

I live about 6 miles from EGPF and have flown from both Glasgow Flying Club and from the one time West of Scotland Flying Club (anyone remember C172 G-BAXY? ) with friends as far back as 20 years ago, so there was a strong "pull" to join Glasgow and do my PPL training there. On the other hand there was Cumbernauld and Prestwick...

To cut a long story short, I went for Cumbernauld and started my training in January (after a trial lesson in one of the Katanas).

Learning correct RT procedures from the start and mixing it with 757's is all very well but when you are paying to sit behind them wating to taxi or flying in circles, then the "worth" (for me) comes into question.

The advice I was given was that there would be plenty of time to mix it with the big boys in the latter stages of and after my PPL training was complete.
Until then I can concentrate on developing my basic flying skills and circuit work at the relative calm of Cumbernauld (and you do have to keep a sharp lookout for other traffic in and joining the circuit, so it is no picnic!), without paying the time and landing fee premium associated with EGPF. (Dont know what the fees are at Glasgow but I did 3 touch and go's and a landing at Cumbernauld on Sunday - £32)

Other factors for me were the use of the Katana's at Cumbernauld (a great little aircraft) and the general friendliness and professionalism of the staff.

I hope this helps and I that you enjoy your flying, where ever you decide to learn!

LiamMc
22nd Apr 2003, 06:39
Thanks guys.

I have considered PIK, it sounds great too although a bit further away. I know it is probably more easily accessible without a car (probably the worst thing about GFC).

I have a full set of AIP charts for Glasgow with the rest of the UK on CD, and I've been practising with these for the last couple of years with the VRP's as well (via flight-sim)... I'll need to stop looking at the instruments all the time, I got told off for that on my trial flight :)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help... keep it coming ;)

Liam