PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Ground School

jamup
20th Apr 2003, 17:37
Guys ,

I did ATPl once at LGU , but did not pass many and I had to give up, but now I still want to do it , so please can somebidy tell me whats the best ground school for ATPl, and the better pass rates .
I like to do it distance learning too.

Thanks

OBK!
21st Apr 2003, 03:29
Without a doubt...bristol IMHO

There was a lass on the same course as me who went to LGU before bristol...found em' pathetic. After bristol she felt so much more confident :ok:

Flypuppy
21st Apr 2003, 04:31
It's worth checking out ATA in Coventry. They only do residential courses but it is worth giving Hilary a call and having a wee look around.

ATA Coventry (http://www.atatraining.co.uk/about.htm)

Megaton
21st Apr 2003, 04:55
I would also vote for Bristol. I originaly signed with the now defunct PPSC and bristol cae to my aid when they went under. Honourable chap Alex, excellent notes and first time passes in all subjects for me.

jamup
21st Apr 2003, 16:30
Really value your comments ,, Dudes ,, I wil go for Bristol ,, all the very best,,,,,,,

FlyingForFun
22nd Apr 2003, 17:11
It depends on lots of things. The main thing it depends on is you - how you like to learn, what you think is important. Having already been through this once already, you've got an advantage, in that you already know what you don't like in a school - so now you just need to find a school which you do like!

If you're doing distance learning, there aren't all that many schools to choose between, so you should write to every single one of them. Try to get a sample of their notes, see how quickly they respond to you, how well they answer your questions, and so on. Speak to students if possible (post on here and you'll probably find student to speak to!) Then make up your own mind.

There have been a couple of posters recommending BGS on this thread. I'd agree they are excellent - I did my ATPLs with them, and thought they were excellent. But without knowing what your problems were at LGU, I can't be sure that they are going to be the school for you - only you can decide that.

One other thing - you say you like distance learning, but if you were struggling with the LGU course, maybe you need the support that you only get on a residential course?

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

jamup
22nd Apr 2003, 19:12
Hi

Can somebody tell me who has done everything at bristol, are they really good , and are they attend to your matters ? , and how is there feedbacks,,,? its a great help guys,,,,,,

Hufty
22nd Apr 2003, 22:18
It is worth thinking about Oxford too, I found them to be excellent although have no experience of BGS.

If English isn't your first language, you might want to ask them for some advice up front to help you make the most of your course - distance or otherwise. It might help you when it comes to the CV preparation stage too and might well help secure you that elusive interview...

All the best...

jonnyg
24th Apr 2003, 00:03
I´m doing Phase 1 ATPL Distance Learning at Oxford, I´ve just finished the brush-up course and was impressed with the set up, they all knew their subjects, exam format and were willing to help every step of the way. I just hope that the exams go as well as the course....

Delta Wun-Wun
24th Apr 2003, 01:14
I did my ATPL`s with Bristol. I found them very good. I used to e-mail the progress tests in the morning and the worked answers were e-mailed back the same day. On the occasions I need something explaining, I would either e-mail or telephone. I thought they were very good value.
The brush up courses for each module were excellent. It is easy to get buried under the weight of feedback questions that come at you during the two weeks.

parris50
24th Apr 2003, 03:08
Another vote for Bristol. Did my final six subjects there and passed all first time.

Notes excellent and not verbose! Diagrams clear. I was always given help with any difficulties. Tests were marked same day as I e-mailed them.

Above all - a first class brush up course.

jamup
24th Apr 2003, 06:31
thanks guys

no doubts ,, Ill speak to alex,,, good luck

Bail out
25th Apr 2003, 03:01
I done my ATPL's with EPTA at Bournemouth.
All the instructors are ex-PPSC except for one. Got me through all 14 bar 2 on the 1st attempt with them. I also think there currently the cheapest full-time course!! ( dont quote me on that ) what ever you decide it will be hardwork but its worth it - or so i,m told.

Chuffer Chadley
25th Apr 2003, 03:41
Hello!

I'm with some more ex-PPSC instructors at GTS in Bournemouth. I haven't done any exams yet, but the notes and brush-up have been excellent so far. Cheap, too!

Cheerio!
CC

Tim_Q
26th Apr 2003, 03:31
Those of you that went to Bristol, I'm inclined to follow-- just wondering what sort of numbers you had in the brush-up classes?
Thanks! :ok:

skyrabbit
4th May 2003, 02:30
I did it all at Bristol, they are the best by miles.

Good luck

Bunny

parris50
4th May 2003, 16:27
There were about 15-20 of us in the brush up course.

PA-28 CLOUD SURFER
4th May 2003, 17:20
Good day fellas,

Everybody on this thread seems to love Bristol as the foremost ATPL distance learning school. I have had this debate with many pilots on this site and most of them have told me it is unlikely one school is better than any of the others. It may be a good idea to get them to send an example of the sort of notes they use, in lots of different schools and also to visit them. Remember it is a big investment, so lets hope you're happy!!

My question to put to the infinite knowledge of the members of PPrune is, Oxford is apparently the best training school in the UK. I understand this is just reputation but is it actually better than Bristol or Bournemouth? It seems alot of people here went to Bristol so can our answers be a little objective please. Thanks guys,

happy hunting

John Pearce
4th May 2003, 21:22
I'd recommend Bristol Groundschool. I did all my study with them in 2001-02. Excellent notes, well constructed lessons, good feedback, and regular updates to notes if anything gets updated in the syllabus.

They even got me through all 14 as first time passes!

Nothing was too much trouble to be explained either. Phone, fax, e-mail or actually on the course.