PDA

View Full Version : Civvy QFI Quals

The Cook
18th Apr 2003, 06:15
I am currently in a hot and sandy place but hope to return a green and better place. Can anyone out there advise me on becoming a civilian instructor at a PPL level.

I am currently a fast jet QFI and a few years ago held a safety pilot cat' to my PPL in order to teach aeros in a JP. I have an interest in working in the civilian market place but I do not hold a CPL/ATPL.

Any advice would be gratefully received.:confused:

BEagle
18th Apr 2003, 14:36
To instruct at PPL level you will require 'Commercial level knowledge'. This means either holding a current CPL or ATPL if you wish to receive remuneration, or having passed the CPL exams if you do not.

If you have over 2000 Mil hours, your best bet would be to obtain your CPL (and preferably IR) under the Military Accreditation rights recently agreed. I'm sorry, but you'll have to do 5 JAR-FCL ATPL exams (rather than 14!) and then do your CPL Skill Test (and preferably IR) on something like a Seneca. That'll net you a 'JAR-FCL CPL/IR with ATPL knowledge', commonly referred to as a 'Frozen ATPL (fATPL)', with Multi-Engine Piston Class Rating - and if your Single Engine Piston Class Rating is still valid, that as well. If your revalidate or renew the IR within 5 years, your ATPL theory credits will then be extended accordingly; if not, you'll have to do ALL the ATPL exams again....

To add a FI rating to your licence, as an RAF QFI (but not a SEP QFI), you'd need to contact a suitable FTO for assessment, but I expect that you wouldn't need much more than a bit of groundschool and a FI Skill Test.

I know this all sounds rather OTT to many mil QFIs who just want to do a bit of part time puddlejumper instructing, I agree it is - but I'm afraid that's the way of the CAA..... Ask the Tornado mate on exchange with the Luftwaffe who flew over to the UK just for me to give him the RT exam! He scored 100%, unsurprisingly!

If you want to ask anything more about this, either PM me or e-mail me at my PPRuNe e-mail link and I'll try to answer your questions.

Megaton
18th Apr 2003, 14:47
Have to disagree with BEags a bit on this one.

You must have UK CAA or JAA-FCL licence including valid SEP Class or Type Rating, CFS Standardisation Check in last 12 months, meet knowledge requirements for grant of JAR-FCL CPL or have taken Mil Accred Scheme and a few other bits (LASORS Section H 1.8 refers).

Assuming you have met the above requirements then a CFS Cat B2 equates to FI(A) with restrictions iaw JAR-FCL 1.325, B1 with 200 hrs instruction equates to FI(A) without supervisory restriction and A1/A2 equates to FI(A) with no retriction.

No need for assessment with FTO although I'm sure they'd glady take some money off your hands if you were desperate.

BEagle
18th Apr 2003, 15:35
Err, HP have another look at LASORS and you will find that the Military QFI concessions to which you refer are only for those "...having been tested by a CFS Agent and granted a Certificate to Instruct on single pilot, single engine piston powered aeroplanes within the 12 months preceding receipt of the application."

Since I doubt very much whether this would apply to our FJ mate, he would need to follow the LASORS guidance requiring him to complete training at the discretion of a FIC Instructor at an approved FIC FTO (i.e. 'Assessment at an FTO') sufficient to pass the relevant elements of a FI Skill Test in a single pilot, single engine piston aeroplane with a suitably qualified civil FIE(A).

He would also need to hold a commercial licence to receive remuneration for any PPL level SEP training. Which includes, of course, holding a JAA Class 1 medical. For non-remunerated instruction, a PPL with FI rating is sufficient; that only requires a JAA Class 2 medical.

Megaton
18th Apr 2003, 21:56
Repeat after me....

I must not skim read
I must not skim read
I must not skim read
I must not skim read
I must not skim read
I must not skim read......

Yes, you're absolutely right :\

The Cook
25th Apr 2003, 05:48
:) Thank you gentlemen/ladies for your kind words, obviously some work to do yet... If only I could get a print out of your top tips in this giant sandpit!

I look forward to returning to the UK and joining the crowded weekend skies once again!!:ok: