PDA

View Full Version : Taildragger rating

Evil J
17th Apr 2003, 07:48
Thinking of doing my taildragger conversion this summer and would welcome any recommends or warnings of places to go/avoid.(I am Midlands based but don't mind travelling if its worth it!!)

FNG
17th Apr 2003, 16:04
No particular suggestions for your area, but, to echo a point made by FFF the last time this came up, be sure to find an instructor who is a taildragger pilot, rather than a spamcan instructor who has checked out for tailwheel. You need someone with lots of direct experience of crosswind taxiing, wheelers, side slipping etc. Have fun doing the checkout.

PS: as you don't mind travelling, you could try White Waltham: ask for Ian Marshall or Bruce Hutton, although in my view WLAC charges more than it should for dual on its Supercub.

matspart3
17th Apr 2003, 16:20
Phil Matthews at Cotswold Aero Club, Gloucester
Knows all there is to know about taildragging

FlyingForFun
17th Apr 2003, 16:30
Absolutely right, FNG.

Ask your instructor how long a check-out will take. Anything less than 5 hours is unlikely to be thorough enough. Ask if he'll teach you wheel landings. "Yes" is good. "If you want" is ok. "No" or "maybe later" is bad.

I paid the price for getting a less-than-thorough checkout, when it took me 7 hours of dual to get signed off by a new club on a type which I was already "current" on - partly due to having not learnt some important techniques, and partly due to unlearning bad habits.

If you take FNG's advice and go to WLAC, do ask for one of those two instructors. Although I've never flown with either of them, they are both very experienced tail-draggers. Many of the club instructors are not.

And I also recommend Harvey S Plourde's book "The Compleat Taildragger Pilot", which will give you a thorough understanding of the subject together with lots of simple pictures - all the complicated maths is shoved into an appendix so you can read it at leasure if you're that way inclined, or ignore it if you're not.

FFF
---------------

BlueRobin
17th Apr 2003, 17:35
I went to Clacton last September for the t/w conversion and also did the supplementary farm strip course.

Good points to consider

Sense of elation from first tailwheel solo is like doing your first student solo

Farmstrip course is bags of fun with the coastal scenery thrown in for free

You'll end up wanting your own Super Cub. :cool:

Blue

For the same rates as the Clacton Cub, AFT have a C152 taildragger at Coventry if you want somewhere closer, however it is a Cess....zzzzz :zzz:

tacpot
17th Apr 2003, 19:08
I did tailwheel difference training at Northants School of Flying and was very pleased with the instructor, the aircraft, and the airfield (it is particularly suitability for taildragger training).

I would suggest that if Tatenhill is a possiblity for you, you consider the type of flying you will be doing, after your training. Tatenhill has four runways and the choice of grass and concrete. The Decathlon at Tatenhill is also very powerful. If you expect to fly a Pitts and occasionally (or regularly) have to fly off tarmac, then Tatenhill will get you upto speed more cost-effectively than most places.

If you have your own aircraft or access to a taildragger for training, I can also recommend a Midlands-based freelance instructor who is excellent. PM me if this is an option for you.

Kingy
18th Apr 2003, 00:22
Another vote for Phil Matthews at Cotswold Aero Club - he's a drole one but a great instructor. And the PA18 looks very nice.

Glos is so big that you'll get plenty of taxing practice - if you can Get to the hold in one piece you've nearly cracked the whole thing!;)

Kingy

Floppy Link
18th Apr 2003, 01:41
Northants
ask for Frank McClurg

he's got shedloads of hours - all in light aircraft, excellent instructor

refreshed me on the Super Cub after a 10 year break, originally did it at Clacton.

I'd recommend either...
Russell

QNH 1013
18th Apr 2003, 03:30
Tatenhill is a great aerodrome, but it no longer has a grass runway available. The grass 26/08 is now strictly a taxiway only.

bletchleytugie
18th Apr 2003, 04:27
I would you suggest you try Tom Eagles at Pilot Flight Training at Kidlington, he took me all the way through from Silver C SLMG conversion to PPL A and did my tailwheel coversion on his Condor .

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Apr 2003, 05:53
Indeedy Tom at PFT is good as is the Condor; you can also do it at Turweston in a rather nice and powerful Citabria.

On second thoughts, dont do that because it will mean that I can fly it less!

;)

Go and have a chat at a few of the suggested places and take your custom where you like it best.

Not heard anything bad about Clacton yet and a lot of peeps really like doing the 'course' over there. Would not mind doing some extra over there (you are never too old to learn something extra) but can not stand the town.

FD

Canadian Luscombe
18th Apr 2003, 11:14
I agree with FNG/FFF re the importance of an experienced instructor. If possible, try to find one who has owned his/her own tailwheel airplane, or has done glider towing or bush flying (I guess the latter would be unlikely in England!). That way you'll know that they have bags of practice handling "conventional" undercarriage in a variety of situations (especially strong crosswinds).

BTW, there are schools out there purporting to give complete tailwheel checkouts but they won't rent the airplane solo after the training is done. Seems to me that they're not confident enough in their instructors' teaching ability or judgment re solos, so it is not really a valid checkout and I would go somewhere else.

Flying Boat
19th Apr 2003, 01:45
Why not have a holiday & enjoy your taildragger rating.

Go to Jersey, they do it in a Chipmunk.

Ask for James the CFI. Evelyn, & the other ladies on the desk will help with suggested accom & flights.

The Chippy is £116 an hour dual. As they are a club you will need to join them, they are a great club. I have been an overseas member since 1996.

Their tele number is 01534 743990

Enjoy the rating, it is real fun, wherever you go.

FB

Ludwig
20th Apr 2003, 00:15
Another vote for Frank McLurg at Northamptonshire School of Flying at Sywell. He's got over 10,000 hours, and they have a Cub, a Tiger Moth and a Pitts S2A for taildragger stuff. They will also rent the aircraft solo when you are done. 01604 644678

LowNSlow
20th Apr 2003, 07:12
Evil J (no relation to Dr. Evil perchance?) go and do it. You'll find out what your feet are really for and enjoy yourself. Nobody flys a Cub (or similar) and walks away without a jaw breaking grin :D