PDA

View Full Version : BA Mail delivery

BBriscoe
17th Apr 2003, 05:21
Do BA operate any just-mail flights, i.e. just parcels and letters etc., but no passengers?

I know Lufthansa operate nightmail services, so I wondered if BA did the same?

eng1170
17th Apr 2003, 08:12
BA used to use one of there ATP's to do paper charters between GLA and BFS, obviously this has stopped but the a/c would be stripped of seats, do the job and be refitted with seats in an evening ready for scheduled pax trips in the morning.

Don't think (could be wrong - Missus says I'm always wrong!) we do anymore, but BA does have a 747-400F in BA livery for freight but I'm sure this is only leased to BA and is owned by someone else (G-KILO is the regn)

ETOPS
17th Apr 2003, 16:21
We sold G-KILO a number of years ago and the dedicated 747-400F's in our livery are actually run by GSS/Atlas Air. As it is a bone of contention between BALPA and the company let's not go any further............

N.O.Esseleph
17th Apr 2003, 17:20
G-KILO was sold to Cathy Pacific many years ago. The two 747-400F's that operate BA Cargo flights are in GSS livery, not BA (white fuselage with blue fin) (G-GSSA and G-GSSB).

eng1170
18th Apr 2003, 04:58
Sorry for duff gen chap's, being based at GLA we are rather out of the loop and I only have vague recollections of what a 747 looks like anyway......mmm, big bu**er, 4 engines and plenty wheels if memory serves me right? We don't get let out to the big airport boy's airport very often

;)

MMEMatty
19th Apr 2003, 03:06
What about the Royal Mail Postal services (the modern version of the Night Mail Train)? Didn't BA used to do them?

Matty

BN2A
28th Apr 2003, 18:59
British Midland did a night mail service 3 years ago.. (might still do, but I don't work for them any more so am not sure).
Operated overnight between LHR and EDI - A320, Bins full of mail and seats pushed forward and covered before filling cabin..

As for G-KILO, operated to LHR with Cathay Pacific as B-HVY :8

:ok:

29th Apr 2003, 17:18
ParcelForce use a light aircraft for parcels and they fly from Liverpool i used to work for them but i transferred over to Royal Mail but i am not sure about mail on the aircrafts but i can find out for yous.

Best Regards

ratarsedagain
30th Apr 2003, 22:01
BA used to do a night EDI mail run on the 757, but I think it was prior to Midland taking it over. Not sure if it's operated by either company now.

HZ123
3rd May 2003, 02:45
BA mainline jet fleet does not operate any mail flts at this time. It is difficult to make money from passengers let alone freight.

In the past it was achieved by covering seats in plastic sheeting and then roping mail down it was time consuming and often the a/c left late arrived back late and was not availible for passenger service. I would doubt that BA has anyone qualified to do the load and balance using the upper deck for mail.

Max Angle
6th May 2003, 02:14
bmi still operate a mail service between LHR and EDI with two A320/A321's, one in each direction. Mail is put in the holds and in the cabin in custom made fabric bins which fit into each seat row. Normal load is about 9-10 tonnes and it pays very good money.

In trim
7th May 2003, 02:35
Most UK night postal services are run by turboprops. I'm a bit out of touch with the current situation, but a number of key hubs (LPL, EMA, ???) see a wave of turboprops hubbing in and out at night.

Years ago aircraft such as Bandeirantes and Shorts 330/360's used to operate mail flights in great numbers. The Post Office then rationalised onto a smaller number of larger aircraft....Emerald 748's, Channex F27's etc.