PDA

View Full Version : Contract hiring with HCL?

MEM
16th Apr 2003, 23:45
Does contract hiring exist in Canada?

HCL/ HollandCanadaLine (Bloorstreetwest.com). Do anyone know who they are, do they do a good job etc. etc, or am I supporting someones new car sending a check of $100???

Are there any other good contract agencys?

Thanks....

Willie Everlearn
19th Apr 2003, 07:13
HCL?%##!

So, the boys are at it again are they?

Well, I remember when they first started up...a few years ago. However, for about the last 5 to 6 years they have either been out-of-business, hybernating, or just not sure the contract pilot employment game was to their liking. Maybe they're coming back with a vengence? (tongue in cheek)

In any event, as luck would have it, they did SFA for me. Them and a long list of others. That's not to say they won't for you, but I'm thinking if this outfit is 'credible', why are they charging $o much for their 'services' especially when it is highly unlikely you will get a job through them? Aren't you better off spending the 100 bucks on FedEx or UPS? At least you know your CV made it to the intended carrier. Right?

There are a good number of these agencies who don't charge you for their services. So....

Better still. Spend the C note on calling everyone in the industry you'd like to apply for. That's what they're doing with their computers, faxes, telephones, cellphones, etc. Often referred to as "the middle man". You pay your money you take your chances. Simple as that.

Many will tell you to look at the "state of the industry". Pilots are a 'dime a dozen'. Which is pretty accurate since so many are either layed off or unemployed or just simply looking at the wrong time. Remember. All of these so-called pilot employment agencies are 'dogs' chasing the same 'cat'. Check the ads all over the internet by a/c type and location. It's all dependent upon who in the 'pack' ends up placing someone for a particular carrier.

They will tell you they are 'close' to signing a contract with the 'carrier in question' and when you ask for anything remotely specific they will waffle and end the conversation.

I base my comments purely on personal experience. :ok:

Not wanting to sound that negative I should also add that YOUR luck (with HCL or any others for that matter) is YOUR luck. Which is bound to be different from mine. But to fork out $25-$50-$100 to any of these outfits for employment is nothing short of exploitation. :uhoh:
...especially when you look at the "state of the industry". :sad:

Since most pilot forums derive a reasonable income from these agency adverts, it would not be at all in our interests to label them as less than reputable, but in all honesty, you have to do your own evaluation of what they say they will do and then, if you're lucky, see if you eventually end up with the job you went after through their services.

Feeling lucky???

...if you'd care to send me half that amount, I'll put you onto some excellent opportunities. Not to mention some prime swamp land in South Florida. :O

Sorry Virginia. There really ISN'T a Santa Clause. ;)