PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Distance Learning

holbrob
16th Apr 2003, 17:56
I'm more or less half way throuh my PPL at the minute but trying to do some financial wizardry!!! I need to work ahead and start planning the finances for the next part of the training which will be the ATPL theory (PPL Night, IMC and Hour Build are already budgeted for!!!).

Can anybody suggest a good distance learning school which doesn't just use books!!!

The cost is not really a problem as i believe if you want quality you should be prepared to pay for it.

Please help!!!!!

Bri :\

Megaton
16th Apr 2003, 18:54
Try www.bristol.gs ; they use a CD-ROM which has excellent graphics, diagrams and tests. I used them whilst living in the US and it worked perfectly for me.

FlyingForFun
16th Apr 2003, 20:55
What do you mean by "which doesn't just use books"? If you're no good at learning by reading, then you should probably be looking to do a residential course rather than distance learning, although this will obviously cost more money.

I agree with Ham that Bristol are superb. But the main way of learning is still by book. The entire set of notes is on their CD, but, other than a couple of animations, it's exactly the same as the books except you read it off the screen instead of paper. There are a few bonus bits on the CD, though - things like progress tests which enable you to ensure you're up to speed before doing the test for real and sending it in to Bristol, and a few other toys and simulators to help you out in specific areas. But the best thing to do is contact every one of the distance learning schools (there aren't that many of them), see what each offers, and then see which you prefer.

FFF
--------------

Hard Cache
24th Apr 2003, 01:32
Have to say I agree with the FFF. The Bristol CD is excellent. But surely the moving diagrams on the Cd just enhance the main notes. I tried just reading off the screen. Not good idea methinks if you you want to keep your Class 1:8 Bristols notes are suberb but remember wherever you go they will give you reams of manuals to wade through. Even the residential courses, as I know from my own experience before the school went bust. Sorry but you still have to read loads, only distance learning you need to be far more dedicated as you are not sitting in a room full of like minded people with instructors at your beck and call.

Wherever you decide to go good luck ..

Chuffer Chadley
25th Apr 2003, 03:35
The comments regarding learning from books are entirely correct...

I'm with GTS in Bournemouth at the moment, chose them as they're local and cheap. If you're sharp enough to do your ATPL, then, IMHO, you should be clever enough to learn from books. And so what if they're not colour and unanimated? Ultimately, I'm sure that I'll get the ticks in the boxes that this is all about.

Another advantage is the two-week classroom bit- I'm doing that now with them, and there's only 3/4 of us (comapred with 20-30, I believe in many other schools) in the class- which is excellent.

Well worth looking beyond the big schools- be careful you do not confuse paying for quality with paying over the odds for someone's reputation!

Ciao!

CC

sally at pprune
25th Apr 2003, 04:01
I'm doing the Bristol Course - entirely from the CD on a laptop (with a good screen) & it works for me.

I checked out all of the schools before choosing Bristol. Oxford was a close second for the groundschool (but not flying), but I was put off by their sales people and comments about poor customer service from people who had chosen them. I cannot recommend Bristol highly enough.

Alex, do you offer commission? ;)

N14HK
25th Apr 2003, 08:37
If you can't manage a few books, you've picked the wrong profession.

BGS are very good.

bruce88
1st May 2003, 18:23
Easy answer..
You simply can not go wrong with BRISTOL...
:8

Chuffer Chadley
1st May 2003, 19:03
Blimey!

Is this a wannabees forum or the Internet arm of the Alex Whittingham appreciation society?! ;)

I suppose they must be doing right.

Cheerio!