PDA

View Full Version : Options

Dozza2k
16th Apr 2003, 17:18
Hey,
For the last year or so i have been researching into attending a course in Western Australia to get everything from zero up to an fATPL. I always thought that from then on i would live and work in Aus. However, after having a quick chat with an aviation consultant he said i would be better off going for a JAA scheme to increase employment prospects, his implication was that aviation in Aus was on a downturn. This disappointed me somewhat as there is no JAA training centre in Australia anymore and i love the country.

I began to look into JAA schools when my parents (i am 18) suggested to me sticking with the origional plan and get an aussie fATPL and then immediately do a conversion to JAA back here or in the states. I hold dual nationality with the UK and Australia, so employment oppurtunities would rise (in theory). My question is is it worth it? will it actually help? It is a lot of money to fork out and with no guaranteed job at the end. Also i guess i have to make a decision about moving permantly to Aus, or staying in the UK where my fam n friends are, which i am sure you will understand is a big decision for someone about to sit his A levels who hasn't even voted yet:eek: !!!!!!.

I have to make some hard decisions in the near future and any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dozza.:confused:

redsnail
16th Apr 2003, 19:48
It's a tough one all right.
To convert a JAR lic to an Australian one is a lot cheaper. (Note, when talking to flying schools in Oz they don't use the term fATPL).
There is a lot more varied flying in Oz, however, unless you instruct you'll have to go "bush" to get hours. Unlike Europe, it is practically impossible (outside Qantas) to get onto turbines without several thousand hours and at least 500 hours multi command.
Converting an Aus ATPL (not frozen) is still very expensive. Converting an Aus CPL/IR or ATPL (no turbine time) costs about the same but you'll get a JAR CPL.
Aviation in Australia isn't as bad as many make out. The Qantas regionals are finding it tough to find suitable canditates at the moment. (ie multi time, turbine time etc). Cathay, Qantas and Virgin Blue have been recruiting pretty heavily untill recently. SARS has put a bit of a dampener on things at the moment.
It is a much tougher place to get onto jets than Europe.
The bush flying is fantastic and worth doing.
The lifestyle in Oz is great.

I came the other way. ie from Oz to the UK. I know what you mean about leaving your family. They are only (hahahah) 24 hours away via QF/BA or there's the phone.

I'd focus on your exams at the moment. You got plenty of time on your side.