PDA

View Full Version : Perf. A / Perf. C ??????????

Devilbis
16th Apr 2003, 04:41
Hello,

can someone explain what this is.

Cheers, D

My names Turkish
16th Apr 2003, 05:03
Get your Cap 698 document out page one. You should be able to get it from the CAA website.

Devilbis
16th Apr 2003, 05:45
maybe that is the only document that's not on the caa website.

D.

FlyingForFun
16th Apr 2003, 16:58
It's apparently something to do with the old CAA exams, where you had to sit certain exams before flying aircraft in certain performance categories.

It has been superceded by the JAR ATPL exams, and so is not relevant to new pilots. You might still hear people talking about it - but if you've passed the JAR ATPL exams then you meet all the requirements, so don't worry.

People who have pre-JAR licenses and have been through the process will know more than I do!

FFF
---------------

renard
16th Apr 2003, 17:44
As a previous contributor said, they are not examined now under JAA, but I had the misfortune of doing both under the CAA exams.

A Perfrmance A aircraft is goinh to be an airliner - tuboprop or jet. The exam was based on a jet and a Perf A is always safe.

A Perf A aircraft, if it has an engine failure during take off, will either be able to stop on the remaining runway or safely accelerate to take off speed and climb clear of all obstacles.

You had to work out max take off weights, or given a max take off weight, claculate max take off temperature or V speeds etc from many many many graphs using a very thin pencil.

I believe more information may be found in JAR OPS 1 Subpart G.

A Perf C is a light twin, something like a Seneca 2 or a Chieftan. It will fly on one engine but it might well scare you with its (lack) of climb rate. When I flew a Seneca, our Ops manual said that it would take about 20miles to climb to 1500'AAL on one engine at MTOW - not very nice!

Devilbis
17th Apr 2003, 00:07
Thanks for the info. You learn something everyday (if you are able to remember it).

Cheers,

D.