PDA

View Full Version : Study Materials. What do you do with yours?

pilotwolf
15th Apr 2003, 22:08
What do you do with your old study materials?

After the course is over and you have, hopefully, passed what do you do with your books and reference material?

Personally I keep all of mine for future reference or revision... you never know what you might want to know or recall in the future.. Yes I have a lot of books both from flying and work - but at least I know I can look back on them if need be.

However there seems to be a lot of books and study aids advertised on Ebay and similar sites and of course the occasional 'offer' here on PPRuNe.

What do you do? And why?

Flypuppy
15th Apr 2003, 22:23
Create a large pile of paper and folders at the back of the attic. There is that nagging feeling of "if I chuck it out I will need it".

It looks impressive if anyone asks how much studying did you have to do to become a pilot. Also it proves to the wife I didn't spend 10 months just p!ssing ₤25k up a wall.

Vere de fakawee
19th Apr 2003, 04:33
Just burnt the whole lot! They brought back too many traumatic memories of the whole complete waste of time, effort and money.
:{ (Passed the ATPL's by the way, just decided on another extremely well paid career, without the late nights/early mornings)

Knold
21st Apr 2003, 02:09
If we're talking books from french class they're all ashes now.

Buuut I guess your talking about flite stuff.
Nice to have and look back at. Not the CPl stuff though. Tech stuff's nice to keep. RAR's not that fun to save.
Always a delight looking back at old tech-charts of planes you've flown. Rules change, no reason to keep'em.

WelshFlyer
21st Apr 2003, 02:45
Well,
as I'm a student (Yes, shock-horror!) at the moment, I haven't finished with my study material, but when I am finished, I'll keep them so if I need to revise a past topic, that I need to "brush up" on, I won't have to buy new books!;)

Knold
21st Apr 2003, 03:00
Yes Welshflyer, you think so now.
I'll bet you, after graduation you'll never open the school books ever again. We've all been there ;)

WelshFlyer
21st Apr 2003, 06:54
Maybee......but surely it can't hurt to hang on to study mateirials - you never know how or when you might need them.

Besides, it's true you can show them to other people and bost about the volume of the study mateirial in question!!!

Knold
24th Apr 2003, 22:40
If you're in to boasting, sure. ;)

When you start flying for an airline you'll find many other, more hands on oriented sources.

WelshFlyer
25th Apr 2003, 00:13
True, but I'm not into bosting, :) so after I compleat my course of flying it looks like bye-bye study books!

;)

BigGeordie
25th Apr 2003, 00:55
I went back over some of my old ATPL stuff (from 10 years ago!) for a recent Emirates interview. I was glad I did, and I passed. Stuff like met and aerodynamics never changes. Of course if you're really sure your first job will be your last you'll never need any of it again.;)

Knold
26th Apr 2003, 20:23
Well perhaps a few of them are good to save. But I still don't regret burning the french books. :E