PDA

View Full Version : Conversion to JAR or Spanish license

spm
14th Apr 2003, 21:35
Does anyone know what it would take to convert a Canadian ATPL to a JAR ATPL? Do you have to do a flight test? How many writtens? And aproximately how much would it cost?

Also wondering if Spain has it's own license or do they only accept the JAR license. And if they do have their own license, what is the conversion process to it?

Thanks for everything,

redbar1
14th Apr 2003, 23:56
SPM,

For starters, I assume your ATPL is for Airplanes and not Helicopters, the regulatory situation differs between the two.

There is no conversion arrangement in JAR-FCL as of now (Except for PPL). However, JAA has adopted a crediting-system, i.e. you are given credit towards the training requirements relative to your experience level. Minimum requirement is you'll have to sit all exams and do a Skill Test, though. All details are here (http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/42/20/422078/422078.pdf) , and you find it in Subpart A, page 1-A-4, item 1.016 - "Credit given to a holder of a licence issued by a non-JAA State".

Spain has adopted JAR-FCL and should consequently have ceased to issue 'national' licences.

cheers,

ADFS
15th Apr 2003, 00:48
So far Spain has not reached 100% adaptation to JAR/FCL rules specially concerning convalidation process.
There is still a " protectionistic " attitude, just like in Holland or Germany where the language is a requirement, but as of today, there are 2 kinds of Spanish licences issued: one for EC registered aircraft ( for Iberia pilots etc. that have no need for a European ticket ) and the other for the rest that one day may be applying for a job in another member country: for example Easy or Ryanair, Westair, etc.
In any case the process is confusing,frustrating and God help you.
I can only suggest that you pay a visit to DGAC in Madrid and ask to see Sra. Casares and she will give you the straight scoop.
If you have an ICAO ATPL with certified Command experience in two-crew aircraft, preferably jet airliners, then you may have a good chance at reducing the 14 written assignments to 3 but I am not sure that that is still viable anymore...
Good Luck!
;)