PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Freedom rights

mcdonnellluke
14th Apr 2003, 02:27
Hello
Just want to ask about the situation regarding 5th freedom and cabotage rights. I know that Pan Am based 727s at Heathrow for flights to West Germany in the 1970s and 1980s-where these 5th freedom routes? and also are the Turkmenistan routes out of BHX to NYC 5th freedom. Also, would have Ryanair have needed 5th freedom rights to operate routes out of STN to non-EU destinations before the aquistion of Buzz? and would have it needed cabotarge rights to operate many of the routes it flies now before the libaralisation of the European aviation market (e.g. routes within Germany and STN-PIK route)?
Luke

Michael111
15th Apr 2003, 02:09
Hi

Fifth freedom is an agreement between 2 countries that allows a carrier to pick up traffic in one foreign country and take it to a second foreign country providing the flight starts or ends in the carriers home country.

Fifth freedom rights are important for all carriers especially if the airline is bigger then the size of the home traffic base. (eg Netherlands, Switzerland)

Cheers

Michael

LGWAlan
15th Apr 2003, 16:14
see atatchecd for a listing of freedoms:

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/fulltext/430a4.1.pdf

you need to read in Adobe Acrobat

FougaMagister
17th Apr 2003, 18:29
Hi McDonnellLuke
Your post reminded me of some 5th freedom routes - sometimes they're obvious, i.e. when Aerolineas Argentinas has an MD-83 based in Madrid, flying to/from CDG, FCO, etc, when Northwest has a few A320s Nagoya-based (flying to Korea etc.), or when the late buzz (R.I.P.) used to fly French domestic routes. Actually I think I recall reading something to the effect that EU-based airlines could open cabotage routes in any EU member state - but I may be wrong. Still, that's what Easyjet want to do out of ORY now that they have the slots...

Hope that helps.

Cheers