PDA

View Full Version : London Control Zone, Denham and Fairoaks

Diamond 'katana' geezer
14th Apr 2003, 01:37
Hi all,
I am currently a lowly PPL student in Leeds. I have just received my southern section half mil chart and i'm baffled.
I have been looking at the London zone which is class A surface to 2500 QNH (correct me if i'm wrong). I have also been looking at Denham, Fairoaks and Brooklands all of which seem to be within the London Zone (class A) being a PPL i am not able to flying into these airports. Is this correct? do i needs an IMC or even an IR to fly to these airports?

Sorry if this has been done to death.

Geez:cool:

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Apr 2003, 02:01
Hi DKG

Congrats on passing the PPL!

To enter a class A zone without an IR you need a Special VFR clearance.

With those you can fly through the zone to your heart's content. (Well as long as you comply with your clearance)

If you look in the flightguides you will see the rules for flying in the Denham ATZ; Nil for Fairoaks and Brooklands is not open normally.

HTH

FD

FNG
14th Apr 2003, 02:11
Just to clarify, normally you require an SVFR clearance to fly in class A, but when entering the Denham and Fairoaks ATZs special procedures apply so that your flight does not need SVFR (for example, the minimum vis is 3km, rather than the 10 km minimum which applies to a vanilla PPL for SFVR). As already mentioned, the procedures are in the airfield guides.

Irv Lee explains SVFR and its uses here: http://www.flyibm.co.uk/SVFR.html

Diamond 'katana' geezer
14th Apr 2003, 02:32
thanks ever so much.

it seems such a silly question now. :p

Regards
Geez:cool:

Evo
14th Apr 2003, 02:35
FNG - you've discovered my 'other' flying club :)

Whipping Boy's SATCO
15th Apr 2003, 01:49
I think it has all been said, apart from the fact that these are all interesting airfields. Don't be daunted, do some careful planning (call the airfield for advice?) and go have a look. My favourite is Denham even though it lacks a cafe.

Top tip. If you in that bit beneath the TMA between Heathrow and Luton, try Northolt (126.45) or Heathrow Radar (119.9) for a service. At least they may be able to stop you straying into CAS.

Saab Dastard
15th Apr 2003, 02:27
DKG,

Well done on your PPL!

I can imagine that the SE looks a bit cluttered with controlled airspace, but I can speak with some authority about Fairoaks, as it is where I got my PPL.

You don't need to enter the class A airspace (London CTR) with a SVFR to get into Fairoaks. The ATZ is Sfc- 1500 feet, and the southern portion of the ATZ is outside the Heathrow zone - it does lie beneath the LTMA (above 2500 feet). So approached from the SW-SE < 2500, you are in class G until within the Fairoaks ATZ. You don't need to speak to Heathrow at all, unless you want to transit to Fairoaks SVFR from the N or W.

On departure, it is possible to get SVFR - I've routed M3/M25 junction (Thorpe) - Ascot - Burnham - Beaconsfield, not above 1000 feet.

I know that White Waltham is similar and I'm sure that Denham is the same. Don't know about Brooklands - is it still open to fixed wing?

Read the aerodrome notes in Pooleys, Jeppesen etc. (or on the AIS website) and enjoy your visits.

Good luck,

SD

Evil J
15th Apr 2003, 14:15
D "k" G -speaking as an ATCO there are no stupid questions, just dumb mistakes. Much agro could be avoided if people sought clarification when they aren't sure. And for that matter those (relatively few I'm glad to say these days) ATCO's (and similar) on the ground didn't get the hump when someone seeks clarification for something for which they are not familiar or sure. Its a team game after all.

FlyingForFun
15th Apr 2003, 17:08
Agree with all of the above - but the main thing is that it's different for each airfield, so read carefully before you leave.

The White Waltham ATZ is half in and half out of the Heathrow zone. That part of the ATZ which is outside the zone extends up to 2000' QFE. Inside the zone, flight without compliance with IFR is only allowed to 1500' QNH (subject to some other conditions). The joining procedure is to join overhead at 1300' QFE. Since the airfield elevation is 130', that equates to 1430' QNH, giving you just 70' to play with! But as long as you're aware of that before you set out, and you've done your planning, it's no problem - and well worth a visit, IMHO.

FFF
--------------