PDA

View Full Version : First Pax - Magic!

In Altissimus
12th Apr 2003, 23:57
Finally got to take up my first passenger today:D

A bit murky and bumpy of the way down to Canterbury, but spectacular views (from a safe distance of course) of the cathedral in the afternoon sun.

Had to hammer back a bit as the clock was ticking, but somehow managed to grease the landing...

Pax was v.impressed, and she's a local councillor - so do I get extra brownie points for advancing the cause of GA:rolleyes:

Just had to share this - I think it feels better than the first solo!

BEagle
13th Apr 2003, 00:20
Very well done indeed! I hope that your passenger now realises why pilots are so passionate about flying - and that as a local councillor she'll be GA-friendly!

Now what you have to do is to nip over the water to France for lunch. Even just a quick trip to Calais and its pleasant little airport restaurant is worthwhile! Abbeville is a bit further but even better.

HelenD
13th Apr 2003, 01:39
Sounds as though you had a great time and that you converted the counciller to be pro aviation if they wernt already.
It may sound a bit of a cop out but my first pax was my instructor. He asked to come up with me as as hes a nice guy and a friend there was no way I would have said no. The flight felt different to any of my training flights and I felt confident. If I remember the comment I got was I wish you had flown like this during training. I still have not taken up a non pilot as a passanger though I feel ready to in the PA38 but not the PA28.

dublinpilot
13th Apr 2003, 04:03
Well done.

I have to agree, that it's better than first solo. In fact I think my first pax flight was my most enjoyable flight. First time I actually got to share my interest with my friends!!

Enjoy it!!

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Apr 2003, 04:43
I felt obliged to declare an interest as a frequent user of my local airport, and neither speak nor vote on a motion on the airport in this week's full council meeting.

In Altissimus
13th Apr 2003, 18:03
Gertrude

Are you more than just a "frequent user"? I only ask as I wondered whether, as a pedestrian or driver, you refuse to vote on highway matters etc, etc...

Bluebeard2
14th Apr 2003, 02:18
Just been getting back in the saddle again after the winter lay off and took a good mate of mine up in the group C152 last weekend. It was his first time in a light aircraft and it was a great flight! He's not a nervous flyer, so I gave him a little go at the controls, did a couple of steep turns, and chucked in a PFL for good measure. Managed to pull off quite a decent x-wind landing too. There's nothing quite as magic as flying with a total newbie - although I do tend to vet my mates to exclude nervous flyers, after all the screaming can be quite distracting :E

topcat450
14th Apr 2003, 17:49
I have to admit my first flight with a real pax, who'd never been in a light aircraft before was great, and yes in many ways better than going solo.

Finally I could point things out and it was all new to them, not like an instructor who when u point out the massive traffic jam below just sighs and says "yup..its a traffic jam"...with an enthusiastic pax it makes flying real fun again!

Holloway
14th Apr 2003, 18:05
ive nearly finished my PPL now and cant wait to shoot off to france for the day and take some mates!! its all Ive wanted the whole time!

FlyingForFun
14th Apr 2003, 18:42
Have to agree that taking pax is one of the greatest things about being a pilot!

I think there are two types of pax, both fun to fly with for completely different reasons. A lot of my friends are interested in the mechanics of flying, and want to know what the controls do, how they work, what all these buttons and dials are for, how the VOR works, etc, etc, etc. Which gives me a great chance to show off how much I know - until the inevitable question comes which I don't know the answer to!

But I actually prefer the other type - the type who's quite happy to simply stare out of the window in amazement. After a couple of years of doing this flying thing, it can become almost ordinary, and sometimes it takes a first-time pax to remind us how priveleged we are to be able to admire the view from such a unique position. I had one of that type of pax fly with me recently - a normally chatty girl who spent the whole flight in complete silence except to occasionally talk about the things she was seeing on the ground. One of the best flights I've had in the past 12 months or so, just because of her reaction.

FFF
-------------

Holloway
14th Apr 2003, 18:45
CANT WAIT CANT WAIT!! WANT IT NOW :)

Kolibear
14th Apr 2003, 19:46
The best pax is another pilot, because that way you get to turn the controls over to them and YOU get to look out of the window and study the ground below, something that we don't always have a chance to do.

Capt BK
14th Apr 2003, 21:49
I really get a buzz when I take someone up that is a bit dubious at the size of the plane, what to expect etc, and is a bit nervous. You take them up fly around pointing things out as they sit in silence snapping away with their camera (the last lass I took up used three films in 30mins!) and when they get back they have a huge grin on their face asking when they can go up again:D :D

I also feel a little a little proud when they say "I wish I could fly a plane":O

topcat450
14th Apr 2003, 22:22
The other time I've been really chuffed to have my PPL, was one evening over a few beers we started talking about things you've always wanted to do. One woman said "I've always wanted to fly a plane"

I of course explained that I was a highly skilled and trained aviator, I'd be willing to give her a jaunt and I'd even let her touch the column and do a bit of flying herself. I think she loved it....

I still smile to myself when I think about her way of saying 'thank you' ;)

Northern Highflyer
15th Apr 2003, 00:27
I have taken 2 first time fliers since I passed and they both loved it so hopefully I have done something right. I like to think I have made the task easier for some cabin crew somewhere as I have converted two nervous people into aviation enthusiasts. With another newbie to come next month I hope to get the hat trick.

Topcat
Hope she wasn't too rough when she handled your column ;)

Gertrude the Wombat
15th Apr 2003, 03:16
BIAA:

There are special rules for when more or less every councillor has an "interest" in things like that. Plus the legal officers don't always agree with each other (eg a joint district/county committee on which different members receive different legal advice as to the import of their membership of a cycling campaign).

Anyway, full council meetings are a total farce, the motion was harmless and would have been passed unanimously whether I'd voted or not, and I do speak up for GA where it really matters (ie in committee) when appropriate.

ratsarrse
15th Apr 2003, 03:46
First passenger is something that I'm really looking forward to as well. I'm also quite nervous about it, which is really stupid because it's a looong way in the future and there more imminent things to be nervous about. I've inflicted my passion on friends and family for some time now and have become familiar with a variety of glazed expressions. I guess it will be payback time for some of them when they get to see what it's all about first hand instead of listening to me gabbling on about it.