PDA

View Full Version : Help Icom Ic-a22e

WorkingHard
12th Apr 2003, 15:08
Very foolishly "lost" the mains charger for this unit. Can anyone please tell me the spec for the charger as I have several from different pieces of equipment and would like to use the correct output. Thanks in advance

Mike Cross
12th Apr 2003, 18:14
I have an IC-A3E, which I believe uses the same charger.

It's an ICOM BC-02-UK which is the UK replacement for the BC73E and BC74E

Output is 12V DC 300 mA max

The positive terminal is in the centre, negative on the outside.

Mike

Ripline
13th Apr 2003, 04:35
Or you could buy a multicharger from your local market for about £3:50 or so, which is what I carry abroad to lend to people who have forgotten theirs.....

Don't forget that 12v devices can also be charged via a car lighter socket. Both these "dodges" are second-best options to the correct equipment, but much better than having insufficient battery charge in the air!

Ripline

Mike Cross
14th Apr 2003, 02:05
A word of warning.

The output voltage from most mains chargers is higher when at no or little load than when it is providing its full rated output. It's not unusual for something rated at 12V to produce over 14.5 volts when lightly loaded. Your ICOM uses much more power on transmit than when idle so keep the battery connected. The additional load from charging the battery will keep the output voltage of the charger within bounds.

(The ICOM charger should have been designed to cope with the fluctuation in load, someone else's may not have been)

That said I do use a third party car charger with mine, but always with the battery in place and I unplug it once it is fully charged.

Mike

Mark 1
14th Apr 2003, 17:45
Another word of warning.

The old ICOM battery packs consist of 11 NiCad cells producing 13.2 volts nominally, but when charging they are split into one set of six charged in parallel with the other five and uses a ballast resistor to even out the charge currents.

This is why your not allowed to have the radio on while charging as the cells can't be in series and parallel at the same time.

Having said that, if you use a charger of similar output to the standard one, it should be ok.