PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool-luton?????

Rob_L
10th Apr 2003, 18:01
Rumours circulating of a new service (not easyjet) Liverpool to Luton with a 737. I hope they market it better than Euroceltic did.

Tiger
10th Apr 2003, 20:03
I`d love to know, what it is with this route. Liverpool-London [whether LHR/LGW/LTN/STN]

It does NOT work, either in paxs numbers or profit. BD operated this route in to LHR and a DC9-15 series carried an average paxs load of 40 so 50% paxs load, and most were conecting on to other flights. Now that ESY has a number of destinations direct from LPL the loads could be lower and only point to point carriers from LTN the market would be just London bound traffic.
A number of airlines have had ago only to pull off or go bust.

I doubt any such route would be viable but of course there will always be the new airlines thinking of giving it ago.
BA has a market share on MAN-LON route and BD had a very slow start when it started competing on the MAN-LHR route.

Powerjet1
10th Apr 2003, 20:10
Could this rumour have anything to do with NOW, if and when they take to the skies. Appreciate their website lists MAN as one of the nine destinations they propose flying to. Who knows?.

Buster the Bear
11th Apr 2003, 01:50
Rumour has it, this 'new' airline will be flying a certain orange coloured airlines staff between Liverpool and Luton.

CandyBender
11th Apr 2003, 02:37
I flew EZYs LPL-LTN service several times.....pretty busy 100+ pax on every occasion. With the state of the west coast main line there's definitely a market at the right price.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
11th Apr 2003, 19:57
Buster - that's what I heard, but in a Fokker 50 rather than a 737!!

Tiger
11th Apr 2003, 20:08
100+ paxs does not make it a viable route. Esy where giving the flights away with fares @ £5 sgl, and even 50p at certain times-and funny ESY don`t operate the route anymore. Must be one of the only routes the orange lot have dropped.

West Coast main line is having major work to upgrade it, however, Midland Main Line is starting a Manchester-St Pancras service soon.

But like have said, many will try and many will fail on this route.

brabazon
11th Apr 2003, 20:48
Just found this on the St Pancras - Manchester rail service,

http://www.midlandmainline.com/DisplayPressRelease.asp?PressReleaseID=41

although it seems to be intorudced to give rail passengers an alternative to west coast rail disruption it could give Now (if they start flying) competition from Luton - Mancester.

Re: easyJet flying LTN-LPL you would have thought that with attractive deals from the airports at both ends of the route they could have made a go of it, but they said the yields just weren't high enough.

Buster the Bear
12th Apr 2003, 01:36
So if the LPL-LTN route is not profitable, what about the new service between Blackpool and Stansted by Ryanair?

FK50's, are Celts to rise from the ashes?

Tiger
12th Apr 2003, 02:45
If the LPL-LTN was profitable those orange 737`s would be pounding the air between the two.....they are NOT ...

As for Ryan Air (is it being called Manchester North??;) )

who knows the route has not been operated for years

Scottie Dog
12th Apr 2003, 03:25
Just to say the MML route is only a temporary service at the request of the Strategic Rail Authority whilst the Wset Coast Main Line is being improved.

By this time next year it will probably have been stopped.

Cheers

Scottie Dog

Buster the Bear
12th Apr 2003, 03:45
The press release at the time of the ending of the easy link from Luton to Liverpool actually stated that the plane would be used on the more profitable Spanish destinations, but no mention of the link being unpopular or unprofitable. Loads on the route were very strong, especially as it takes around 3 years to maximise a new service prior to a profit. From memory the route was stopped after 18 months. The cheap fares mentioned are typical of gaining both customer confidence, but more importantly awareness of the route. Ryanair maximise this philosophy.

easyJet were at the time growing madly, needing both planes (On order) and crews (Being trained).

Blackpool-Luton, late 1960's by Autair.

qwertyuiop
12th Apr 2003, 05:33
Tiger.

Have a look at your map. Dont think LPL could ever be called Man North. Maybe Man West though. How about "London North West", or Scotland South or Ireland East.

Tiger
12th Apr 2003, 06:07
Blackpool I`ll go for Manchester North West.......

Liverpool is just Liverpool:p

as for the St Pancras-Manchester rail service, there`s a lot of hipe and if proves successful bets Midland Main Line keep the service going

Powerjet1
12th Apr 2003, 14:17
Route was carrying about 19,000 pax a month when operating 3x daily, dropping to about 14,000 at its demise based on 2 x daily. As for yields ?