PDA

View Full Version : BMi Baby delivery to Teesside?

Go-arounder
10th Apr 2003, 15:58
Local news in the North East have BMI Baby about to announce a new base at Teesside later today, initial destinations – Belfast, Prague and Geneva! Italy and Spain to follow!

MarkD
10th Apr 2003, 17:44
Damn... Had been looking at WW ORK-EMA and onward to Durham by rail in June and ORK-MME would have been so much better!

richardhall99
10th Apr 2003, 18:03
Tyne Tees has just told us that BMI Baby wil fly from Teesside. The webiste is down at the minute so maybe they are updating it at the moment.

Cant really see how WW and EZY will compete on the Prague route. I didnt think that there was such a market

Andy_S
10th Apr 2003, 18:18
"Had been looking at WW ORK-EMA and onward to Durham by rail in June and ORK-MME would have been so much better!"

If it makes you feel any better, according to local BBC news this morning the new services are not scheduled to start until October in any case.

Airbus215
10th Apr 2003, 19:01
Yes its true !

Teeside will get the puffa jacket brigade from October 03.

Quote ...

"bmibaby, the UK’s second largest low cost airline, has today announced plans to operate from a fourth UK base at Teesside Airport.

The airline, which will launch its third UK base at Manchester Airport on May 1 will now also fly from the North East of England this Autumn.

Two aircraft will initially be based at Teesside boosting the northern economy further by creating in excess of fifty new jobs for ground staff and aircrew. The airline is now finalising routes and frequencies and is looking to go on sale with destinations shortly. "

Tony Davis, managing director of bmibaby said:
“We are clearly committed to the growth and development of bmibaby. We are extremely pleased to announce that after just one year of operations we are now able to announce our fourth UK base at Teesside International Airport. The creation of yet more jobs in the North of England is also great news for the whole region in such challenging times.

We are establishing ourselves as a major national operator flying from four key airports across the UK to 22 popular European destinations. We will shortly be announcing our winter timetable and with that the routes that will be served from our new fourth base.”

Looks like Tiny will be a busy little baby !

No Plans to turn the MME-LHR into a baby route !

:D

ajamieson
10th Apr 2003, 19:03
On the wires, but nothing to confirm the routes so far thus morning...

PA-GENFAX-
1 AIR Baby 1147GMT 10APR03
Budget airline bmibaby is to fly from the north of England from October in a move that will create 50 new jobs, it was announced today.
The no-frills carrier will operate from Teesside airport in Darlington, County Durham, – its fourth UK base.
Routes to be flown from the airport are being finalised and will be announced soon.
First launched at East Midlands Airport in Leicestershire in March 2002, bmibaby also flies from Cardiff and will start services from Manchester on May 1.
Tony Davis, managing director of bmibaby said: “We are clearly committed to the growth and development of bmibaby. We are extremely pleased to announce that after just one year of operations we are now able to announce our fourth UK base at Teesside.
“The creation of yet more jobs in the North of England is also great news for the whole region in such challenging times.”
Hugh Lang, managing director, Teesside airport managing director Hugh Lang said: “This is a huge boost for us. We’ve been working very closely with bmibaby over the past few months and now we’re seeing all our hard work come to fruition.
“We are very much looking forward to a long working relationship with bmibaby and look forward to the start of services in October.
ends

Buster the Bear
11th Apr 2003, 01:52
Oh........................@***** it!

Airbus215
11th Apr 2003, 14:37
Of course the real speculation is not where will baby fly to from MME but where tiny intends to base himself for his 5th base.....!

Any guesses , speculation or just wild rumour..........

I think we can rule out LHR/BHX/BRS/LPL/NCL !

:p

HOODED
11th Apr 2003, 17:27
I would have thought LBA would have been a top choice for BMI Baby had Jet 2 not beaten them to it. Is there really enough demand for a Locost at MME with Easy now getting established at NCL and Jet 2 at LBA?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------It's dificult to soar with eagles when you work for turkeys!

MerchantVenturer
11th Apr 2003, 18:54
Airbus 215,

What is left? BOH,EXT,NWI HUY and ABZ.

If locos or pseudo locos get in at these airports we shall have a full hand. Have I missed anybody out?

Buster the Bear
12th Apr 2003, 01:43
5th base, I could never get past first!

Seriously, base No5 would be spreading the baby rather?

Base No5 has to be in Scotland or Luton!

carbootking
12th Apr 2003, 02:46
for bmi baby to be taken seriously its got to come down south and stop hiding in the north its all well opening lots of bases up north but theyve got to come to london ie luton or stansted well theres no room at stansted rynair wouldnt let them so lutonor maybe gatwick

MarkD
12th Apr 2003, 03:18
CBK

lots of human capital post-buzz (in 90 days it seems, sadly) and Go (since EJ dropped the bomb on the call centre) at STN, only slots and aircraft needed. An STN-FRA for BEagle and the world is back to rights :D :D :D

Airbus215
12th Apr 2003, 16:36
I dont think tiny is exactly hiding up north , Unless you class anything outside of the M25 north.

Its Birthplace at EMA is hardly the North being midway in the UK and CWL cannot be classed as north !

Any LOCO will always opt for the best commercial package available , Baby is no different .

As for STN well its possible if BAA wanted another LOCO given the right routes etc may well be a possible .

LTN a non starter Tiny would not tread on his big brothers toes at LHR ! . Given the strong relationship with tbi who own both LTN and CWL it just wont happen bmi mainline is to strong at lhr to allow its LOCO little brother to muscle in !
Sorry Buster I dont think the puffa posse will be popping along with picnic baskets !

LGW again a possible base for the future .

As for not being taken seriously carbootking perphaps you should take a moment to review baby's achievement from scratch to 4 bases in just over a year . Exceeding pax targets at all its bases.

Im sure Tiny would love to be within the M25 but can only do it when the commercial package is right . And where an appropriate route structure can be implemented , Anything else just wouldnt be sensible!.

Ask the passangers in Manchester and Cardiff if they are taking Baby seriously and i think your'l find they are.

And no I dont work for Baby and im NOT Tiny !

:)

Powerjet1
12th Apr 2003, 17:19
Airbus 215

If Baby would 'not want to tread on the toes' of bmi mainline at LHR by using LTN, wouldn't the same apply at LGW, after all, both are similar distances from LHR, one being north and one south. As for STN, with the harp opening routes there like this is no tomorrow, another Loco coming in there would find it pretty tough plus further easy expansion in the pipeline

owc
12th Apr 2003, 18:15
What about opening a base at BFS.:)

bmibaby.com
12th Apr 2003, 19:59
I still cannot see the point of my airline launching a hub at Manchester.

We have hubs at EMA, CWL, and the proposed MME thats great because previously there was no or little major bmi or bmi regional services from those airports, and so the operations didnt clash too much.

However, bmi has been building up MAN as a hub on domestic, international and intercontinental routes and to set up baby there, where you cant earn your diamond club points, cant use the lounge or make connections to other bmi flights will be ridiculous.

Just my idea.

Airbus215
15th Apr 2003, 03:50
The simple logic behind setting up a base for baby at MAN is to exploit the commercial advantage of both the catchement area and the market on the routes currently on offer.

Since the launch of sales from manchester over 100 000 seats have been sold (See baby web site) .

None of the routes on offer with baby would really have fitted in with the regional service and the need to maintain a competetive fare stucture on the routes (To compete with existing operators) dictates that a low cost base model prove the only answer .

As for the lack of lounge access Diamond club silver and gold status card holders still retain access to bmi lounges at present.

Diamond club members dont earn points on bmi charter services and theres never been a problem like wise through connections.

Cant really see there being a major demand for connections from cork to washington or chicago via MAN with bmi but im sure theres 1 or 2 who will want it !

Quite simply commercial logic meant that baby choose MAN if baby hadnt a competitor would have ! (You really think that cheap as chips travel wouldnt want to be based at MAN ????)

And for the first time on May 1st all 5 of the bmi flying sectors will operate from 1 base : Mainline,Transatlantic,Regional,Charter and baby ! Its going to be busy in Manchester !

Heres to the perfect photo opportunity A330 Long Haul ,A321 charter , A320 Mainline , Er145 Regional and 737 Baby !

'

:D