PDA

View Full Version : Busiest Day??

Danny_R
10th Apr 2003, 00:51
Hi guys,

Quick question for you, what is the busiest day at Manchester? Thinking about going in the next week or 2 and would like to go on a busy day, i realise Manchester is always relatively busy but is there a day which has just that bit more traffic....??

Cheers

Danny

GK430
10th Apr 2003, 17:53
How about European Cup final day with Old Trafford as the venue - coming soon, not sure of exact date.

Could well be loads of Spaniards and Italians there!!:*

MerchantVenturer
10th Apr 2003, 19:30
GK 430,

It's 28 May.

But there will only be a few football flights from Amsterdam bringing the visiting fans. The United faithful will come by road and rai,l even those from around the UK.

Don't know where you get this idea of Spanish and Italians getting to the final.:D

GK430
10th Apr 2003, 20:08
MV

Well being a southern hemisphere rugby fan, I can only surmise who will be playing with that funny shaped round ball. Yep, possibly the Orange men, but I'll bet Ronaldo, Figo and Zidane will be on show!!

I wonder who Man Airport plc would like to see in this Cup Final:=
And I guess Peel Holdings will love to see two foreign teams as EGCC probably can't cope with all the Tfc.

scoot
10th Apr 2003, 21:14
GK340 yes you are right!

Manchester Airport will not be able to cope.

Union says airport still faces soccer staff crisis

MANCHESTER United's chances of reaching the UEEA Champions League Final are on the up. Which could solve Manhester Aiport's potential substitution problems
The airport is currently looking for around 100 security guards to cover extra shifts based on passenger demand should two foreign sides make it to the final at Old Trafford, according to union sources.
Bosses there say they're confident that the airport will cope, but union leaders say they've not recruited enough volunteers to work.
As reported in last week's Metro News, a foreign team final would see around 100 extra flights and 40,000 extra passengers at Ringway

But Transport and general workers' Union stewards say not one of their members will agree to work overtime to cover the additional work, after a bitter dispute last year.
The dispute saw around 250 security staff leave the company according to union estimates.
One TGWU source told Metro News staff aren't interested in helping the company
"There was a meeting with airport management last Thursday - but there's absolutely no way the staff are going to be helpful even if you offered them £5,000.
"The company pushed us into sitting with them. The airport asked us for ways of resourcing 100 extra guards and we said we couldn't come up with anything.
Overtime rates of pay were scrapped by the airport last year during the dispute. However, the airport has said it is prepared to offer additional pay to staff volunteering to work - although it refuses to divulge how much that would be.
This week a Ringway spokesperson said staff had volunteered to cover the event but would not say how many had come forward.
"Many security officers have applied to work overtime for additional payments during the UEFA Champions League Final," she said. "We will be resourcing the event with the existing staff who are prepared to work overtime and work their days off. Discussions with the union will take place tomorrow "
The Champions League final takes place at Old Trafford on May 28.

copyright Helen Tither Metro News Manchester 14 March

Danny_R
12th Apr 2003, 22:01
So does anyone have an answer for me?

Landing_24R
12th Apr 2003, 22:46
Generally speaking:

Saturdays are fairly slow, especially before 1pm, many of the scheduled flights operate "daily except Saturday". Sundays are better but still not as busy as weekdays for scheduled traffic, although charter airlines are much more evident at weekends, increasingly so as we enter the summer season with the likes of TCX, MON, BY, AMM, MYT etc all plentiful.

Weekdays are busy, especially mornings and evenings, in terms of days- most scheduled services operate every weekday at least, so it doesnt make too much difference to be honest. Try looking at www.ringwayreports.co.uk or www.tasmanchester.com for details of specific movements, airlines such as AF, LH, BA, SQ, AA, CO, EK all operate daily. In terms of aircraft type on specific services, there is very little variation day to day, airlines tend to retain the same type on a specific service- the only exception I can think of is BA's London Heathrow service which operates 737's, 757's, A319's and A320's seemingly randomly!

Enjoy yourself, we've had loads of new services at MAN recently, Hapag Lloyd Express, Qatar, China Airlines Cargo etc :ok:

Cheers
Landing_24R

By the way, the Aviation Society produces a timetable called, "Flightcheck" which details all the movements expected. It's produced monthly, you can buy a copy in WH Smiths inside the terminals or at the shops in the spotting areas.

Danny_R
13th Apr 2003, 02:32
Thanks, I will prob go down on a weekday then, I was looking on the Manchester website, seems Tuesday has quite a few charter flights going out, might go on Tuesday.

Thanks again

Danny

Hawkley
14th Apr 2003, 18:26
Danny

Wednesday is traditionally the busiest day which is also the day of the UEFA Cup Final at Old Trafford.

Despite the usual negativity from some of the other respondents the airport is planning to recive an additional 200 wide bodied plus 60 exec aircraft on 28th May. There are also plans for a helicopter area.

Despite the doom and gloom merchants plans are well in hand with service partners to make sure aircraft are serviced on the day and no - there will be no diverts to other airports.

Following the problems in Scotland last year (Glasgow/Prestwick and Edinburgh) UEFA insisted on all aircraft using one airport.

Just for once can we have some positive spin on Manchester and no I am not an Airport Authority employee but I do work at the airport for one of the many professional service providers base there.

QAR ASR
16th Apr 2003, 16:52
Why do you wish to go on a busy day are you hoping to increase you chances of catching a flight?

Take my advice, book your ticket in advance (even use the internet and get a discount) and go on the quiet day, so you then miss the queues.

Manchester airport with huge snaking queues of people running through the building site, trying to get through security is not a pleasent enviroment.:ok:

EGCC
17th Apr 2003, 00:08
I'd say Wednesdays always tend to have a nice mix of aircraft coming and going at MAN. You always get the afternoon lull most days around 2pm when all you usually see is BA regional and Air France always seems to be about.

If you get there early enough you'll catch the morning charters - Air 2000 seem to have the major prescence now during the day. Also, Qatar Airways departs around 10am, along with the usual long haul flights, although SQ have dropped their flight on numerous dates.
Aswell as thats, there's Emirates, and Air Jamaica in the afternoon.

Regards

Landing_24R
17th Apr 2003, 00:35
QAR ASR,

I think he was hoping to watch the planes, not fly on one :)

Landing_24R