PDA

View Full Version : Is A Visa Required 4 Hour Building?

SpamCanDriver
10th Apr 2003, 00:29
Hi im going to the us to do some hour building, I am converting my licence to an FAA one so I dont have to do any training. Ive been told I can travel on a visa waiver as im not doing any training is this true?

Sensible
10th Apr 2003, 01:07
Absolutely true, hour building does not require a visa at all.

Enjoy yourself!

SpamCanDriver
10th Apr 2003, 03:48
Cheers sensible thats what I thought but someone told me the other day that you needed a visa for all hour building, which is obviously wrong!

Spam:}

FlyingForFun
10th Apr 2003, 16:46
Sensible is absolutely right. You can do that on a Visa Waiver.

Now you'd just better hope the guy working on immigration the day you arrive knows the rules as well as you do. Coz if he doesn't, you're going home. Doesn't matter what the rules say - if he thinks you need a Visa, that's all that counts.

Best advice would be to get a Visa anyway if you've got time, even though you don't need one. If you travel without a Visa, don't lie to immigration, but don't offer them any more information than you have to either.

Once you get past immigration, you'll find America is a fantastic place to fly!

Have fun!

FFF
-------------

Hufty
10th Apr 2003, 21:44
I am going hour building in June and the US embassy recommended getting a B-2 visa. Now I agree that technically you don't need one, but FFF is absolutely right that they can (and have) turned people away for no reason other than they don't understand or believe you.

I paid £62 for it (it is valid until 2013!) and it only took 9 days from first picking up the phone to getting the passport back.

You can just keep your mouth shut but if they ask you straight out if you're going to do any flying (having seen the headset, fuel tester and flying suit when they x-ray your luggage!) then you are going to get into the sort of complicated conversation that £62 could prevent.

Hufty

Flying surfer
11th Apr 2003, 03:55
I go to the US every year and have done now 4-5 times and have never had a visa but at the same time I don't tell the Immigration officer that I am there to fly just simply on holiday. This way I don't raise any suspicions!!

Sensible
11th Apr 2003, 06:24
I tell em straight, "I'm here to fly for fun" never not ever are there any problems! Visas are NOT repeat NOT necessary for a flying holiday. Mention training and there might be a problem but hour building is not training and does not require a visa.

Facts Not Fiction Pls
11th Apr 2003, 09:00
All above are correct....no visa for hourbuilding however....

Make sure that you are able to fly in the US ie do you have the conversion based on your licence or do you have a FAA licence. Then you are fine on the wiaver or B2.

If you are going for the conversion the FAA are stating up to 60 days for the issuance after they check out your credentials (however most are taking 30-45 days). This way no Visa is required!

If you do not have that time and consider doing the FAA written, oral and skill test then you WILL need a visa as you are training towards a licence, certificate or rating.

So be careful when you are just considering the actual hour building!

There are so many great trips in the US.....each state is like a different country with accents, terrain and weather! Have a blast!

SpamCanDriver
11th Apr 2003, 18:11
Yeah I have converted my licence through the FAA in oklahoma the flying school got my confirmation letter a couple of weeks ago saying that its rdy to be converted. So im already to rock, looking 4ward to flying down the grand canyon vegas etc.

Cheers For All Your Advice Spam :}

Hufty
11th Apr 2003, 20:58
Absolutely, no visa needed, however these guys take their job VERY seriously indeed and I think it is advisable to get one, if only for insurance against being sent away by somebody who doesn't know the rules. It happened to somebody I know.

Depending on how much flying you're planning to do, the visa cost is small (in my case, it is 0.01% of the cost of my trip) ;)