PDA

View Full Version : Can a lapsed PPL fly solo under the supervision of an FI?

tacpot
9th Apr 2003, 21:53
If a PPL has lapsed due to lack of experience/landings/flights with instructors, can they fly solo e.g. circuits, under the supervision of a non-restricted FI during their revalidation process or must all flying until the final revalidation flight with an examiner be done dual?

StrateandLevel
10th Apr 2003, 02:33
Yes, provided they have a valid medical certificate. The FI does not have to be un-restricted provided he/she is supervised.

tacpot
10th Apr 2003, 19:12
For the lapsed PPL flying under the supervision of the Instructor, what is the definition of this supervision? Does the instructor have to remain on the home airfield, does the instructor have to stay near a VHF transceiver or a 'phone, is there ANY definition of this supervision?

As a PPL student, I went on nav exercises prior to the QXC and was effectively being supervised by someone at the home airfield 50nm away, who was most probably flying with another student at the time they they were also 'supervising' me.

The background to this question is I have friend whose PPL has lapsed, but he has an aircraft he can fly from a farm strip, but where there would not normally be an instructor in attendance. If my friend wanted to fly some solo consolidation, between instruction trips, how far away could an instructor supervise him from? There is a licensed airfield with flying schools close to the farm strip, could an instructor from one of these schools supervise him from the licensed airfield?

And I really do have a friend - I'm not asking for me :D

Barney Stubble
10th Apr 2003, 20:38
As far as I can ascertain there is no JAA or CAA definition of "supervision". But if stood up in court following an accident on a solo flight any instructor would have to have shown reasonable care in the authorisation and supervision of the flight. I would not consider authorising someone to fly from a remote strip as due care and attention.

However, all PPL training must be undertaken at a licenced aerodrome, which your friends farm strip is not.

Therefore he could not operate on a training flight (dual or solo) at all from his own strip, he must get somebody else to fly his a/c to a licenced aerodrome if he wishes to use it for training.

Barney:cool:

tacpot
10th Apr 2003, 21:12
Two good points:

1. It is for the instrcutor to justify that is supervision was adequate in the event of a mishap. This is a reasoanble approach, and would I feel preclude my friend from operating in this manner.

2. PPL training should be done at a licensed airfield, but does the fact that the pilot already has a PPL change matters?

StrateandLevel
11th Apr 2003, 17:14
A licensed aerodrome (Art 101) is required for training to become qualified for the grant of a pilots licence or the inclusion of an aircraft rating, night rating or night qualification.

A licenced aerodrome is not essential for IMC training, FI training, IR training or the revalidation or renewal of a rating in an existing licence.

As already said, the instructor is the one putting his licence on the line so it is his responsibility to exercise a duty of care, especially in these days of civil litigation. The purpose of authorising solo flight is for solo consolidation to take place following dual training, not to allow unlicensed pilots to break the law (Art 21)