PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to become an airline pilot these days???

sgarvey
9th Apr 2003, 21:37
hi there,
I'm 18 years old and im on the path to following my lifelong dream of being a pilot but i need some help. I know now is probably a bad time to go into becoming a pilot after 9/11 and the iraq war etc. but im stil determined to get there. i've no actual flying experience myself yet but i intend on getting an introductory flying lesson soon. I know becoming an airline pilot is huge money, which i dont have (being only 18 and all). would my best bet be to get my PPL first and then do my IR and CPL? What should i do? Are there any companies out there wiling to sponsor young wanabe pilots like myself? Im studing engineering in Trinity college but i'm dropping out to persue this career and also the fact that i dont want to continue with it because its too difficult and boring. Can anyone please tell me what i should do? Also how much will all this cost? Thank you.

Stephen

Just to add that i'm living in ireland. i would like to train here in ireland also, i know of the companies west air in kildare and southaer in cork. Are these good flying schools? Thanks.

Steve

Squak2002
9th Apr 2003, 23:26
Hello Mate,

I'm a fellow Dubliner and a student Pilot too. There are quite a few places to fly in Ireland but aviation is becoming extinct. Weston is being turned into a hotel and theres a lynch mob ready to attact the flying clubs in Dublin Airport.

Your right in your assumption of the situation of pilot jobs worldwide..... its very bad.

I think I know exactly how you feel!!!! I'm not trying to be patronising, but here it goes.

After secondary school, All i wanted to do was to look for that one chance of a sponsorship.. but nothing arrived.
I decided to go to DCU to study Business. At the end of year one i was so depressed that I dropped out and wanted to do a ATPL intergrated course. I was due to start on 4th September 2001.

Some good pilot friends told me of the benefits of having a degree. Plus, in Ireland we don't have to pay for it unlike our brothers in the UK. A degree WILL stand towards you. Plus its Trinity. But, its your choice and only you can make that call.

So, im 22 now and now only 4 weeks from finishing my degree and im just about finishing my PPL. After some hours building i'll start the modular route.

You still very young and very much time on your side.
Stay focused and stay positive...... It will happen and I hope we'll meet on the flight deck some time from now!!!

Good Luck
john

sgarvey
10th Apr 2003, 00:22
Thanks very much for your reply john. I can completely relate to the whole feeling depressed after year 1. I'm still determined to get my ATPL but it probably wont be soon, afterall its not as if ive 75 grand in my pocket. can i ask you did you keep on doing business or did you go into another degree course and how did your remaining years go after the first first year? Thanks.

Steve

Squak2002
10th Apr 2003, 18:54
Well, I went back to do the business Degree. In our final year we had to decide on a subject to major. I picked Human resource management because there is a large degree of importance being placed on communication on the flight deck.
I fell that it will help my flying if i have the degree behine me.

Listen, Send me a pm and ill give u my e-mail address and if you have any more problems give me a call.

Regards,
john