PDA

View Full Version : Starti

Matthois
26th Mar 2002, 16:43
Hello,. .. .I'm just new here, but I had a question about the sierra academy of aeronautics. I want to start with a course at the Sierra academy to become an airline pilot. And I want to start with in a few months. But I heard that the sierra academy is good but expensive school. And I heard that it was better to start at the sierra academy with some previous experience, like a PPL-license.. .This to lower the costs, is this true? If yes, where in the US can you start to get your PPL (or more), at fast and good school, but not to expensive.. .. .Thanks in advance,. .. .Matt

CAT3C AUTOLAND
26th Mar 2002, 20:22
Hi Matt and welcome, I think you will find PPRUNE to be most helpful and there are a good number of people from all walks of life who read this forum with sound advice to offer in the world of potential airline pilots.. .. .Anyway, I am afraid that I am not going to answer your question directly because I don’t have the answer, however, I would like to project an opinion.. .. .I must admit I am not familiar with the Sierra Academy, perhaps I should be!? But I have flown on a number of occasions in the United States, and you have quite a selection of schools to choose from. Obviously that selection is greater if you are looking to do a FAA PPL, but I would assume you are going down the JAR road, being from the Netherlands?. .. .I have noticed that a lot of people seem to always be attracted towards the ‘cheaper’ option which is fair enough because most wannabee pilots are on a tight budget, however be careful. From my own experience I would think carefully about who you spend your money with. I am a firm believer in ‘you get what you pay for’, and I don’t mean to be cynical when I say that. Now as you are probably aware, with flying, safety is paramount, and you would not want the safety of you flying to be jeopardised by perhaps saving a few quid, i.e. flying poorly maintained aircraft. And naturally, you want your flying training to be of the highest quality.. .. .With the above in mind, do your homework. If you can visit the schools you may have short listed, talk to the students, looks around the premises, get a general feel for the place. You do not want to go all the way to the United States and find that you hate the place you have selected, especially if you have to spend long periods of time there.. .. .I have seen a number of schools in the United States, and some of the good ones (only my own opinion of course) are Naples Air Center, Britannia and Pan Am (note Pan Am is a bit pricey, but have some smashing aircraft).. .. .Like I have said, the above is only my opinion, but be careful and enjoy your course!. .. .CAT3C AUTOLAND