PDA

View Full Version : Is Doncaster a sign of hope ?

Northern Highflyer
7th Apr 2003, 18:39
At last a bit of good news for Wannabes and the industry as a whole.....or is it ???

Despite the current state of the air industry and lack of jobs, someone seems to have great faith in the future. Peel Holdings are to invest millions on a new International Airport to be open within 18 months. Bearing in mind that it will be surrounded by 4 existing Internationals does this offer a small glimmer of light at the end of this long dark tunnel ?

Do they know something we don't ?

Do they expect the industry to blossom enough to support another airport, or are they just hoping to take trade off the others in the area ? I hope the former is true and theres hope for us all on the job front.

:O :D

niknak
7th Apr 2003, 20:40
Personally, I think Finningly will be huge success.
The airport is/will be in the middle of the catchment area periphery of Manchester, Leeds, and East Midlands, and take up a major part of Humberside's.

I know that freight is high on the agenda, as is low cost schedule services, and long haul charters, maintenance and such support services, additionally, there's plenty of scope for the flying training market, and perhaps the occasional use of the facility by the military themselves.

As for jobs, no doubt it's a major boost for the area, but you should be aware that while Peel don't mess about when investment is required, they only do it if there's a commercial or regulatory case for doing so. Accordingly, they tend to employ their own staff directly and not use contractors, and only employ the numbers required with little extra slack.
Of course the project will attract other businesses, who will in turn boost employment in the area.

It'll be interesting to see how it progresses.:ok:

STANDTO
7th Apr 2003, 21:49
Probably build another Trafford Centre!!

THey also put a lot of retail units up at Blackpool.

Any big parks around Doncaster? Long time since I've been