PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN PPL scholarships 2003

Jimbo-in-debt
7th Apr 2003, 07:09
Anybody got any advice on how to succeed with the initial application for GAPAN's PPL scholarship this year?

Can't seem to find many posts by other applicants for the scholarship this year - but lots by people who were rejected last year, which doesn't bode too well. Maybe the other applicants know something I don't...

Best of luck,

Jimbo.

Five5
9th Apr 2003, 08:03
Jimbo,

The PPL scholarship is an amazing opportunity (and stepping stone) and the best advice I can give about any such assessment is to be prepared. Know what you are applying for, the background of the company offering the opportunity, and why they are offering the sponsorship. This will show dedication and interest, which is one of the GAPAN ideals if you look it up on their site.

Any written application is your foot in the door, read the question and write a list of possible personal experience situations you can relate to the question. Use the sponsor’s application requirements to tailor what aspects of these situations you concentrate on in your answer. Pick the best, and develop it on a computer to get it to sound right (read it out loud) and avoid spelling mistakes.

If you have a small reasoning test, make sure you have looked at your old maths books (if you've not burned them), or get hold of some practice questions in a typically available book (or on the internet!). I’m a believer in the fact you can reach a peak of performance on the day by getting the brain in gear in the weeks before such tests.

At any interview you should be aware you are selling yourself. You need to convince the panel you are one of the few. Act professional and prepared, arrive on time, smile naturally, use eye contact and go for confidence not arrogance.:D

The best idea is to sit down and write out as many questions you can, pertinent to the goal you are being assessed for- Why do you want this sponsorship? Why do you want to be a pilot? What have you done with a view to achieving this goal? What will you do if you do not get this sponsorship? What do you do in your spare time?...Think about things you've done that is 'different' to set yourself apart and become more memorable to the assessors.

Don't know if I can promote a book on here, but I’ve found ‘Great answers to tough interview questions’ a general godsend in preparation for these types of things. Look for it in your local bookstore.

If you really want it, be prepared to sacrifice a night down the pub or watching the fottie. It is worth it! It’s all up to you.

Good luck.
;)

Another St Ivian
17th May 2003, 06:50
Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but..

How did you get on, Jimbo-in-debt?
I received a letter this morning saying I had been awarded a full PPL scholarship. Anyone else get one?

A.S.I.

Jimbo-in-debt
18th May 2003, 03:04
Congratulations! You lucky.....something.

No, I didn't get a scholarship this time - I've got various theories about how they select candidates for interview and then further select for the scholarships themselves, but I don't think here is the place to air them...anyway very well done, and make the most of it!

Jimbo.

Blinkz
18th May 2003, 03:48
How do you go about applying for them? I looked at GAPANs and can't see it mentioned anywhere?

Jimbo-in-debt
18th May 2003, 05:15
Blinkz - yes, GAPAN's website is a bit of a navigational nightmare, maybe it's part of the selection process for the scholarships...? The PPL scholarships are awarded annually and those for 2003 have already been awarded, as you'll see from ASI's post - well done him! So here's to April 2004 which is the next opportunity to apply...have a looksie at:

http://www.gapan.org/scholarships/schols03.htm

Bonne chance,

Jimbo.