PDA

View Full Version : theory centres

tcasalert
5th Apr 2003, 18:22
dear all,
I'm an Australian CPL with MECIR etc etc, have been working to Oz Charter scene for a couple of years and have come out to UK to do some flying here (also have UK passport). Would like to know where is the best place to go for live in full time theory courses to JAR ATPL level, i think i have to redo all exams, still waiting for the CAA to advise. Thanks in advance.

FlyingForFun
7th Apr 2003, 16:21
Tcas,

First of all, you are right to wait to hear from the CAA to establish exactly what you need to do.

Whatever they tell you, the best advice I can give is to look at the CAA's website (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp), get a list of all the schools which offer the training you require, and contact all of them. Are you actually in the UK at the moment? If so, visit any school you're interested in, otherwise a phone-call will have to do. Recommendations are fine, and in fact you should probably keep clear of schools which you don't get recommendations for - but just because a particular school suits one person, that doesn't mean it will suit you. Also, since most people have only been to one school, they're not in a position to compare schools and tell you which is best. This is the technique I used, and it worked for me (but since I did distance-learning and you're looking to do full-time, the exact details of my choice won't matter to you).

Good luck!

FFF
--------------

Send Clowns
11th Apr 2003, 01:08
Choices within the UK are

BCFT
Cabair
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies
London Guildhall
Oxford

(Hope I have not forgotten any)

I cannot say which is the best, as I teach Navigation and Flight Planning at BCFT, so would be biased. Contact us all and talk to us, see how you feel about each. Visit if possible, ask about class sizes, cost, accomodation availability, ask to see notes used, get as good a feel for the place as possible. This is important, as the atmosphere has to be one in which you can work successfully.

BroomstickPilot
12th Apr 2003, 17:19
TCASALERT,

The CAA publishes a book called 'LASORS' which not only has the information you requested, but a vast amount else that is useful to have to hand also. It is published annually and is very cheap, I think about £12 or so plus postage and packing, (especially for such a weighty little book). I strongly recommend you obtain a copy.

Best regards,

BroomstickPilot