PDA

View Full Version : Maersk Air UK re-launch??

gladrags
5th Apr 2003, 03:46
Any "Ppruners" have any info about the plans for BHX based Maersk Air UK, if and when they're sold by Maersk in Denmark.

I've heard that they will be renamed as Meridian Airlines(?)

Any info appreciated.

boredcounter
5th Apr 2003, 07:52
As an employee, I'd say wait and see. The name you quote is old hat. Wait and see......................The staff know nothing, and that's the truth.

speed of ssssss
5th Apr 2003, 19:56
According to danish newspaper "Berlingske":

Maersk Air Ltd to be sold to company management. An agreement has been reached and they expect to close the deal by the end of April.

Blighty Pilot
29th Apr 2003, 02:08
Watch this space for DUO AIRWAYS LTD. :cool:

Call Established
29th Apr 2003, 17:57
I understand the management now own the UK part with a fleet of 8 CRJ's. Also heard that the BA agreement ends in Ocotober..

Will they relaunch as BHX's second low cost, be interesting to see what happens....!!!!

Perhaps they can still fly some of the routes they already operate under a new name, as those routes are still owned by them from the old Birmingham Exec and Birmingham Europrean days??

Good luck to all involved!

Blighty Pilot
29th Apr 2003, 18:31
The 14 routes that are currently operated by Maersk Air Ltd are wholely own by MAL - and should be transferred with the purchase.

I don't think that it is an option to be BHX's second low - cost airline as the CRJ cannot compete against an airbus. (The seat price per sector is higher on a CRJ to an Airbus). What ever product DUO has to offer i'm sure that it will be new and exciting. :ok:

Avman
29th Apr 2003, 20:22
I'm surprised that they don't revert to Birmingham European. They had a good reputation as such. The name DUO, if indeed that would be the new name, would make them sound more of a low-cost operation. I think there's still a market out there for a fair priced full-service operation.

Blighty Pilot
29th Apr 2003, 21:37
Birmingham European would restrict them to Birmingham - at least with a neutral name the company has the option to branch out if all goes well.
Think about what DUO means and you could possibly get the best of both worlds.

crewmeal
29th Apr 2003, 21:47
Yes Blighty - I saw a tv ad about 3-4 years ago for 'flash duo' - cleans and polishes in one go - saves your back and your money!!

Maybe thats where they got the idea from!!