PDA

View Full Version : Late Evening Concordes

BRISTOLRE
3rd Apr 2003, 16:22
Has the 2nd rotation LHR-JFK been restablished?

Reason for the query is that 2x evenings a Speedbird Concorde has departed LHR, 1745z on Tuesday and 1945z yesterday.

It was great to see afterburners lighting up the sky on take off again!

Anyone know if it was the BA003 rekindled or something else?

CormacL
3rd Apr 2003, 17:38
BA have only modified 5 of the 7 concordes and apparently need 6 to be able to run a twice daily JFK service along with the rest of it`s network (BGI, charters etc).
Also It`s looklike they are going to keep the number at 5 for the forseeable future

cheers

In trim
3rd Apr 2003, 18:05
Not sure, but thought I'd read somewhere that BA were going to change the timings of the single daily rotation to better suit the New York rather than the London market? Not sure if that has happened?

gladrags
3rd Apr 2003, 22:33
The BA001/002 flights have been re-timed for the duration of the summer 2003 timetable,and that is what you saw taking off the other day.

Apparantley the reason BA have done this, is as a last ditch attempt to see see if they can entice more full fare business passengers back on to Concorde.
The new timings will allow east bound businessmen a full days work in London, as the flights now leave LHR in the evenings.

I spoke to a reliable source in BA the other day, who told me that some of the Concorde services are going out with as few as 10 passengers on-board!!

Could this be the beginning of the end for the "Rocket"??

TopBunk
3rd Apr 2003, 22:33
You are right, the schedule has changed with the summer schedules to (all times local):

BA001: LHR 1830-JFK 1625
BA002: JFK 0800-LHR 1800.

I believe that this gives the crews a reduced nightstop in JFK with no time for shopping and hence the Doris's are whinging!

NineEighteen
4th Apr 2003, 00:00
I spoke to a reliable source in BA the other day, who told me that some of the Concorde services are going out with as few as 10 passengers on-board!!Would BA sell me a return ticket at a bargain price if I ask nicely? Surely it's better to fill at least a few more seats for a nominal fee? I don't need silver gifts, posh food, Champagne etc..:ok:

Colonel Blink
4th Apr 2003, 03:55
When you get the message saying yes please let me know, because I'll be in the check-in queue right behind you!

brit bus driver
4th Apr 2003, 05:02
With me jostling for number 3!!:}

WOK
4th Apr 2003, 15:42
Last trip I did:

BA001 - 100pax
BA002 - 96pax

So If you're going to ask for cheap tickets, pick the right day!

NineEighteen
4th Apr 2003, 23:50
That sounds encouraging WOK (although not for my cheap seat :p), I dread the day when Concorde retires. :( I would dearly love to pilot her one day but having recently started my ATPL theory, I'm not too hopeful.

crewrest
6th Apr 2003, 16:41
I believe that this gives the crews a reduced nightstop in JFK with no time for shopping and hence the Doris's are whinging!

I take it this is what the Guardian describes as an industry source.

Guardian Article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,930229,00.html)

However, industry sources say cabin crew are unhappy because Concorde arrives in New York in the early evening, then departs early the next morning - leaving them no time for shopping.