PDA

View Full Version : OAT APP Selection process

tessamurray
3rd Apr 2003, 05:41
I'm looking for some advice about the OAT APP selection process. I'm hoping to visit Oxford later this month to go through selection...has anyone been already that can anyone tell me what happens? I've read the info about Aer Lingus and BA selection so was wondering how it differed to that. I'm a complete novice to these things and am coming over from the US to attend this...so really would like as much info as possible to give it my best shot. Any help appreciated...cheers.

tess.

oxford blue
3rd Apr 2003, 14:39
You may find this (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=548) link helpful.

There is also quite a lot of other useful information on the website.

P T Flea
3rd Apr 2003, 20:58
Yes I have been through the selection process and was offered a place. Haven't accepted the place yet.

The selection details can all be found on the link in the post above.

Although Oxford do require people on the course (which will hence affect the entry standards to some degree) I would not take the selection process lightly. It is a thorough process that the staff at OAT are taking very seriously.

The computer based COMPASS tests are indeed taxing but should be no problem if you've got the right kind of attributes for a future pilot.

The team building is closely watched by a panel of 3 staff and when I went there was 6 candidates.

The interview is on a 2 on 1 basis. Usually someone from the selection department and someone from head of training.

The sim ride was fun, but also taxing. They vary the difficulty dependant upon your experience. They will ask you to perform certain turns/climbs/rates of climb and talk to you ask you questions, mental arithmetic at the same time.

I would say although they need to fill the places they probably won't hesitate in turning you down if you don't appear to take the selection seriously or you're crap.

PT

foghorn
3rd Apr 2003, 21:42
The thing that concerns me with this kind of pre-selected course, which is marketed to be the bees knees, which requries you to pay over the odds for training that is supposedly gold-plated, but which comes with no guarantee of a job afterwards, is just how much their selection criteria vary with their commercial need to get bums on seats in their expensive courses.

I am referring here to Oxford's APP course and CTC and their ATP scheme.

I'm sure that operators of these courses set out with the best intentions, to make money whilst helping eager wannabes get a leg up. However commercial pressure can be severe in lean times, I wonder just how much pressure it takes for the operators of the courses to be tempted to flatter their bottom line by lowering the bar and padding out their expensive courses and then cynically chopping people later on: "I'm sorry Mr. Wannabe, despite successfully completing the course you're just not up to the standard for us to help you in getting an airline job, so long and thanks for all the money".

Maybe I'm just too cynical?

cheers!
foggy.

witchdoctor
4th Apr 2003, 17:58
Foggy,

I think you'll find that was always the case long before the APP scheme.

Flea,

How's it going? Anywhere near a decision yet?

foghorn
5th Apr 2003, 15:09
witchdoctor,

True, but the OATs spin machine has gone into overdrive with the APP - about just how keen the airlines supposedly will be to hire people straight off the course. Previously they weren't quite so brazen.

Many people are going to get a big shock, IMHO. Just look at the bitterness on other threads of people who bought the OATS marketing before.

cheers!
foggy.

witchdoctor
6th Apr 2003, 22:12
I know, I'm one of them old chap. And believe me, they were this brazen before.;)

foghorn
6th Apr 2003, 23:30
Fair enough.

cheers!
foggy.