PDA

View Full Version : FLYER Professional Flight Training Show

BlueRobin
2nd Apr 2003, 23:14
Anyone going to this? Was going to go last November but had to pull out. Think I will go this time, even if I'm too old for Atlantic :hmm:

Afore ye ask, the details are here:

http://www.flyer.co.uk/PFTS.php

BR

cfb
3rd Apr 2003, 06:19
I have managed to get a limited quantity of complimentary (free) tickets - if anyone wants one, send me a pm with your mailing address.

rocafellascunk
3rd Apr 2003, 14:08
Hi all. I also have a spare ticket as my wife cannot make it due to work commitments. So if anyone wants it just email or PM me with your postal address and I'll send it to you.
R

November Whiskey
3rd Apr 2003, 19:52
cfb,

Check your pm.

Regards,

NW
;)

thebigyin
4th Apr 2003, 17:24
cfb,

I am a bit slow off the mark. Check your pm's if you still have any tickets.

Cheers.

BlueRobin
4th Apr 2003, 17:32
All these freebie tickets. How are FLYER going to make any money out it? :confused: :p

Anyone want to meet up across at the pub for lunch? I daresay if a certain chief PPRuNer were there, he could be tempted!

scroggs
4th Apr 2003, 17:45
I'd join you for a beer, but I wasn't invited!!:{

Scroggs

Irv
7th Apr 2003, 05:28
across at the pub for lunch
I know I can probably find it from the description of 'being opposite', but what is the pub called? I'm going up for about early lunchtime, might as well start there!

redsnail
7th Apr 2003, 05:57
I think you'll find the 3 Magpies just up the road from the Renaissance to be a popular post conference venue.

And Scroggs, you're invited. :}

Scuzi
7th Apr 2003, 06:30
Is the Renaissance within walking distance from Terminal 1 at Heathrow or would I be safer just hopping into a taxi?
I've only been to LHR a few times so don't quite know my way around. Would I be correct in saying that the Renaissance is the hotel which can be seen at the other side of the runway from the departure lounge in Term 1?

I have never been to such a show before, is it all the FTO's at different stands?

Good luck :)

November Whiskey
8th Apr 2003, 05:54
cfb...

cheers mate! ticket arrived in todays' post.

:D

Jimbo-in-debt
10th Apr 2003, 04:09
As there are several ppruners who for whatever reason can't make the Flight Training Show on Saturday...

Is anyone who IS going willing to scribble down the main points from the seminars and post them here? I can't be alone in thinking what's said at the first seminar (BA recruitment / selection) might be pretty useful...

If anyone wants a copy of my notes from the seminars at the last Flight Training Show in November, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy. It's a Word doc; the seminars were about financing training, airline recruitment / selection, JAA exams and life as an airline pilot.

Enjoy Saturday,

Jimbo.

Scuzi
10th Apr 2003, 04:18
As there are several ppruners who for whatever reason can't make the Flight Training Show on Saturday...

Is anyone who IS going willing to scribble down the main points from the seminars and post them here? I can't be alone in thinking what's said at the first seminar (BA recruitment / selection) might be pretty useful...

If anyone wants a copy of my notes from the seminars at the last Flight Training Show in November, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy. It's a Word doc; the seminars were about financing training, airline recruitment / selection, JAA exams and life as an airline pilot.

Enjoy Saturday,

Jimbo.

I'll take a notepad with me and scribble down a few notes, shouldn't be a problem to post them here.

Fogbound
10th Apr 2003, 23:21
I'm presenting at 14:15 alongside Oxford Aviation Training. Its a general overview of what you should be thinking about when considering a career in aviation, looking at training schools and making your choices along with some advice on keeping current, CV preparation, interviews and the current state of the industry. As I've already got the presentation on disc I will be happy to post it next week when I get back to the office if anyone is interested? Let me know and I'll see what I can do !:)

PS No heckling from the back please:D :rolleyes: :O

AndyDRHuddleston
11th Apr 2003, 15:37
cfb,

Thanks very much - tickets arrived yesterday, may well see you there!!!

Andy

The Greener Grass
11th Apr 2003, 17:46
Hi - a quick thank you to cbf, you are a very helpful person indeed, as my ticket turned up today.

I feel I owe you something, if you are ever flying near to my postal address, send me a pm, and I am sure I could arrange a beer or two for you.

I am attending due to my delighful FTO having gone along with £2K via the back door route it seems (think before comitting to a CDL boys and girls = Identical to paying up front although less obvious).

So if anybody wants to meet at the 3 Magpies for lunch, it seems that 13:00 - 14:00 local is the window, feel free to impart knowledge on good CPL/IR providers amongst the usual topics of conversation.

It seems particularly fitting, so I am going to wheel out my lovely bright red tie covered in a tiemakers attempt at Concorde, so I should stand out like the proverbial.

Hope to meet some of you there.

BAB2B
11th Apr 2003, 21:58
For the guy asking about the hotel from T1, it is indeed the one you can see on the northside of 27R/09L.

Don't bother getting a taxi from T1, it's not worth the money and the driver won't like you as he want's £40 London fares and has to come back and queue up again as I found out when I arrived for an interview at LHR a few years ago! You can't really walk it either.

Go to the Central Bus Station (signposted, you follow an underground travellator from T1 towards the tube station and the bus station is above it). 5 minute walk.

Go to the local buses stops, 16 - 20 I think, and get almost any bus, best ones are 555/556/557/285/111/140. They're all free to the Rennaisance, they go through the tunnel then on to the Bath Rd., you'll see the hotel on the right after 10 mins or so.

Enjoy.

Scuzi
12th Apr 2003, 01:37
BAB2B, thanks for the directions, much appreciated. :D

BeauMan
12th Apr 2003, 02:17
Fogbound - Yes please, I'd certainly be interested in having that posted up on here if possible. This is my first tentative step towards (hopefully) a career change, so I'm eager to soak up as much information as I can.

Got a couple of general questions regarding tomorrow, as I've never attended one of these before; firstly, is there a dress code for such things (I'm thinking not, but best to ask!), and secondly, would you kind people in the 3 Magpies welcome a newbie into the fold at lunchtime? :O

no sponsor
12th Apr 2003, 02:48
Was at the hotel today for a business meeting and saw them setting up their stands. As for the bus, the Hotel Hoppa's will take you from any terminal to the hotel, I think its the No 2 bus, but they have it written on the side. It costs £3 and takes 10 mins.

See people there.

Scuzi
13th Apr 2003, 05:26
Good show, plenty of useful information. Did anyone else go?
I had to leave after John Monks talk unfortunately.

AirbusPilot
13th Apr 2003, 06:01
Hello,

First of all i would like to thank "CBF" for the ticket, Thank You!!!

Secondly the Flyer Show was very good, and the Seminars were brilliant, i did enjoyed particularly the last one with Sick Squid, always making us laugh as usual, it was brilliant, thanks to all involved.

G´Day
JP

cfb
13th Apr 2003, 06:33
To those very kind persons who have publicly thanked me for tickets, - it was a pleasure to assist.

I thought the show was excellent, and I not only got the chance to meet up with many old friends, but more importantly, many new recruits to our very unique profession. You are all a very special breed - good luck, and remember, if you work hard, you will succeed.

cfb

Spike001
13th Apr 2003, 06:40
Yep i went along today, didn't stay for seminars but gathered the information i wanted and talked to the pro's with relevant questions concerning ATPL groundschool. They were all very helpful.

I was quite impressed by Cranfield's pilot resources that one would use during the ATPL, they contained what looked like good info with illustrations and bullet point form booklets. I felt that from the ones i had spoken to today, Cranfield seemed very organised and had taken into account many other aspects in helping one through the ATPL.

It's not just down to what the study material contains and how well it has been constructed, but one needs to visit each individual college so they can get a true sense of what they are like and how they function.

Many thanks for all your help during today, much appreciated.

rocafellascunk
13th Apr 2003, 14:56
It was a great day. The seminars were very informative. Sick Sqiud, it was great to meet you and finally put a face to the name. Your talk was excellent.

BeauMan
13th Apr 2003, 17:13
I did much the same as Spike001 - gathered copious amounts of literature and just soaked up the information that these guys were giving me. I don't mean to be disrespectful to the forums, but I think I now understand the career progression paths far more clearly after talking to these chaps face to face than I ever could from reading posts on here. I guess it's just the two way interaction that you get from having a one to one conversation.

Either way, the exhibition was well worth attending, and has given me plenty of food for thought. Sorry I didn't get to put any names to faces (I did spot someone whose red tie seemed to have little Concorde type shapes on it, but I was a bit too chicken to say hi to a complete stranger... ;) ).

Did have an amusing moment at the GAPAN stand, watching someone achieve the stunning scores of 0/10, 1/10, 1/10, 0/10, and then ask the GAPAN man (with a straight face) whether he was cut out for a career in aviation! :ok:

Spike001
13th Apr 2003, 17:23
LOL.. ..... i guess you got an answer of "yes" ;)

I had ago on that GAPAN computer system, i immediately thought that having a joystick with rudder/yaw built into the yoke itself was something new and eager to try.
I just about managed to get the handle of the sim in the short space of time of 2 mins - twist the yoke while in the turns etc, and by the time it came to the second test, the other a/c was firmly in my sights...... could have blown him out of the sky! :cool:

I felt that the main test with that sim was how fast one could adapt to new controls and still fly the a/c as asked to do.

The weather looks good outside for the mo, hopefully i'll beat this rain when i go up flying later. :ok:

L8trz

colbackp
14th Apr 2003, 05:54
Well done

The seminars were all informative and yours was mentioned 5 or 6 times by Alan Hearton in the last seminar of the day. All the best.

Will try to get some notes out of the seminars as requested

Peter
:cool:

The African Dude
14th Apr 2003, 09:46
Unfortunatly I only got the last two seminars. However they were both really useful - Alan Hearton gave out just the sort of info that's hard to come across (day-in-the-life personal stuff), and Fogbound managed to hide embaressment at Mike Taylors references to her piloting brilliance!

It's a shame though because I'm stuck in year 1 of a Degree and not being able to fly yet (for a few unavoidable reasons despite motivation) is nothing short of frustrating. What can you do..!?

Thoroughly recommend info-soakage at next years one though, if there is one...!:ok:

Andy :)

Mintflavour
14th Apr 2003, 16:28
Dear all
Unfortunately due to other commitments I was unable to attend the show. However could anybody fill me in on any useful information learnt over the weekend in the areas of:

Any indication/forecast of a pickup in the recruitment market.

Any handy tips with training and job hunting.

Career development loans.
Also I’m looking to start my CPL at the end of July/August and wandered if anybody had any comments good and bad on the following establishments bearing in mind that I intend to do it Part time ie. weekends mainly due to work commitments.

Walkburys @ Sibson
Bonus @ Cranfield
Any body else @ Cranfield, Coventry, Oxford, Cambridge airfields or @ any other airfields that are local to Northamptonshire.

Was any of these present at the show and how did they present themselves.
Email if you feel that your comments are not appropriate to the forum.

Thanks

Mint

BlueRobin
14th Apr 2003, 18:46
Okay... an off-beat pirep from a flying PPL who made no notes.

GETTING THERE
============

http://www.avsoft.co.uk/shuttle/hotel.jpg

Finding the hotel in the labyrinthine Heathrow road system? Difficult if it's your first time. Parking at the hotel. Atrocious. Spotted spotters next door. On assumption that they have designated spotting areas with good parking availability, I head over there. This is the car park for the visitors information centre. *Tip*

Got there late. John Monks seminar already underway and packed out room. Ubergruppenfuhrer Seager grabbed me to take a few shots with my digi. Unfortunately, too much light behind John and couldn't budge past people for a better position.

Incidentally, John seemed to have a queue behind him, wherever he went. Wonder if this stretched to the Gents?

Also, something said by John in a quiet chat with some friends ond John on the lobby. When someone says, "don't send your CV", don't do it. There are people out there that reply with a CV saying, "I know you didn't say send a CV, but..." :rolleyes:

SEMINARS
=======

Right, seminars in general. Well, it you are a prooner, you probably have learnt lots of stuff already. Much was repeated by different speakers, e.g. on the subject of qualifications, medicals and so forth. := Please guys, co-ordinate your content if possible!

IMO, BAe Jerez went on too long about how to study and this formed thebulk of their talk. Any keen GCSE-level student will know the theory about study breaks, review and revision. May have been useful for some but I counted over a dozen people leave before the session was over...

The Mike Taylor/Heather Moody session (Fogbound - made the name connection now. Are you married? :p ;)) was probably the best due to covering a wide range of subjects, which didn't have a FTO dint. :ok:

http://www.avsoft.co.uk/shuttle/mt.jpg

http://www.avsoft.co.uk/shuttle/hm.jpg

Comments included:

"spend days doing your CV".

"maintain currency"

"show commitment in interviews...ask questions"

and so forth

Shame the subject of private finance couldn't be broached in open discussion by Mike due to "advertising". An area worthy of a seminar. Perhaps next time, a pilot-savvy independant financial advisor could come along? (in fact, I know one). Good idea?

Loved Heather's remarks on PPRuNE. "The R stands for Rumour!"

This re-inforced an earlier thought I had whilst talking to people on the stands...

STANDS
=======

AFT made a serious point, in that I should visit them, so I we could have a proper one-one chat on the whole training schebang. Which as with Heather's sentiment, extends out for any FTO. Don't just PPRuNe, but do the leg work by visiting various training organisations. Help is also on offer with GAPAN, BALPA and the RAeS (Royal Aeronatical Society, who apparently run a careers service). Meet people. Network. Give yourself more power over the masses of "blind" CVs.

BTW, AFT teaming up with Delta in the US to offer American courses.

"Yes, Blue you ARE too old for the fuglie scheme" :*

CTC McAlpine chap tried to make out that his sponsorship scheme was completely free bar the selection process fee of £160-odd. Well, false advertising imo as this is not borne out by the supplied literature stating that you need to source £60000 up front.

Alex Whittingham and Bristol Groundschool's ATPL CDROM package looks great and is being continually developed. This is CAL (Computer-aided learning) at it's best.

The chaps at OAT (Oxford) are very friendly indeed.

My opening gambit to GAPAN chap : "so GAPAN then...is it an old boys' network?" :)
Did some of the basic aptitude tests...."Formation flying? Why, the Cessna in front is dodging about so much, it must be using thrust-vectoring...I'll just fly straight-and-level for a bit...he seems to be going in the same direction."

Multiflight had an interesting perspective on FI-ing. Rather than plumping straight-away for CPL then FI, the lady rep said most serious wannabes plump for the whole CPL/ME/IR package, then do FI if they can't find any work. Seems a bit daft know thinking about it. Thought it was profound at the time. I've missed the point now.

Didn't speak to many other FTOs. IMO, they all try to sell you the roughly the same package and there's only so many times you can look at the bottom line of the price list!

PUB LUNCH
==========

The Three Magpies. Not many in there at 2pm. One attendee started having a geeky anal-logic-sounding barney with the bar staff. This particular chap behind the bar could easily play hooker for Leicester Tigers. :uhoh: So to the arguing antendee/punter...Stay clear mate, stay well clear!

Not the right way of becoming a pilot.

CONCLUSION
==========

Was pretty guarded with my comments about the show with Ian Seager and Nick Wall. But, there really isn't something like this anywhere else in the country, is there? Brings a lot of people together under one roof, so good on the FLYER team for doing it and putting in the hard work!

(I think I may have my photo in the next edition of the mag...oh...dear :\ )

Master Yoda
14th Apr 2003, 19:44
Was I the only one who thought Heather from that seminar talk was a bit of a Fox?

She can fly my plane anyday!
:E

BlueRobin
14th Apr 2003, 20:27
Uh-uh-uh-ahem! To spare further blushes, I think it's best we keep our eyes on the prize in this case. Namely, that elusive commercial job. ;)

Mintflavour
14th Apr 2003, 20:35
Master Yoda

'Away put your weapon, before you do harm'

Sorry I wasnt there to give my opinion

Mint

Master Yoda
14th Apr 2003, 22:10
OK OK! but it had to be said, for all you geezas who didn't go she was "Well Fit" as Ali G would say.

I'll zip it now (literally!)

:8

colbackp
15th Apr 2003, 06:28
You requested some notes from the open day so here they are.

There is a link to

http://www.lavoilerie.com/family/PilotTraining/OpenDaySummary.htm

and from there you can download them in PDF.

The notes were too large to be pasted in here

Please let me know how useful they are as I did them initially for my own use.

kind Regards

Peter:)

Fogbound
15th Apr 2003, 19:11
:O you make me blush !!

Well, hopefully that will mean more of you will be at the next exhibition!

:ok:

Hope everyone enjoyed the day and I look forward to hearing more of you in the sky in the not too distant future!

BlueRobin
15th Apr 2003, 21:09
Ahem....

What was that you said about maturity on Saturday? :D

Thanks again

Blue

Master Yoda
15th Apr 2003, 23:53
Hey Fogbound, I've PM'd u, and you're welcome;)

Fogbound
16th Apr 2003, 18:01
You can find the outline of my seminar and other from the show at the following link:

http://www.lavoilerie.com/family/PilotTraining/OpenDaySummary.htm

:ok:

With thanks to colbackp for putting it all together.

Eddie_Crane
10th Oct 2003, 00:24
Anyone going to the 8th November 2003 event knows how to get there on public transport from either Hatton Cross tube station or LHR central tube station (Terms 1,2,3)?
Any info much appreciated.
Looking forward to attending..., just bought me ticket over the fone this mornin.. :D

Stud3
11th Oct 2003, 02:35
Hey there.

Im flying down from Newcastle on BA1327/29 on the friday and stopping over on the night time in the renaissance hotel and flying home on the saturday night.

Let me know if you've found any travel info as im going to have to get there from LHR terminal 1!

Cheers

Eddie_Crane
11th Oct 2003, 04:14
Will let you know if I find something out.
Apparently there is some sort of "hotel hoppa" bus service from LHR terminals to hotels in the airport area, I'll investigate this a bit more and let you know.
See ya there! ;)

Added about 2041UTC:

Ok, this what I found on the BAA website.
There should be a Hotel Hoppa service (726) from LHR terminals 1,2,3 bus station (central bus station) going to the Renaissance LHR, the service also runs to and from Hatton Cross tube station which is good for me :ok:
Frequencies are about every 14mins from 05:30 to 23:30 hours approximately
Map of routes here:

http://www.baa.com/pdf/travel_around_hal.pdf

Tickets seem to cost £3.00 each way.. :ouch: if on a *very* tight budget (e.g. meself) , but if there's no other way might just as well

I think this helps :), well then definitely see y'all there

Master Yoda
21st Oct 2003, 00:04
Ok, so I sound like a ponce, can anyone spare a free ticket that they aint gonna use for the 8th November Show?
Anyone got any complimentry tickets they don't need?

ta
:O

Stud3
22nd Oct 2003, 17:27
Thanks for your help cesco and will probobly see you there! I think i'll be gettin that bus through from T1 as i dont fancy trying to dodge the traffic! Unless there are walkways :confused:

cfb
28th Oct 2003, 08:19
I have a limited number of complimentary tickets, pm me with a postal address, and I will send one on.

regards,

cfb

Dantruck
28th Oct 2003, 14:46
I'm 41... am I the oldest?

And if any of you groundschools are listening, I plan to sign up with one of you on the day - CPL(H) / ATPL(H)

Any offers?

Dan Coughlan

Fogbound
28th Oct 2003, 17:07
You're not the oldest that I know of!

PM me your address, I have a few comp. tickets.

See you all there!!!

Foggy
:) :ok: :p

Northern Highflyer
28th Oct 2003, 18:03
I would love to attend but alas my head will be buried deep in ATPL notes on that day, so if anyone would care to share their thoughts after the event they would be appreciated.

I will try to attend next year. I assume there will be one next year ? :hmm:

marts
28th Oct 2003, 21:22
I haven't been to any shows like this before, but was wondering if there is a dress code? ie shirt and tie

Thanks

Charlie Zulu
30th Oct 2003, 19:44
Well I went in shirt / tie in April and found many people in smart casual, so that is what I'm going to be doing this time...

Should be there at around 10am, oops better go and buy my tickets first!

Anyone meeting up for lunch on the 8th November?

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

catherine
31st Oct 2003, 17:13
I am going to be there on the 8th and would like to meet with some fellow ppruners for lunch if anyone else is up for it!!

marts
31st Oct 2003, 17:37
I'll be up for some lunch. Never been to this show before, or the Hotel, or Heathrow - so anyone want to suggest a meeting place, place etc?

Martin

Eddie_Crane
31st Oct 2003, 19:55
Anyone had their ticket delivery affected by the Royal Mail strike?
I was expecting my ticket to be w/me by now... :{

C

PS I'll join all of you for lunch *if* the ticket makes it to me by next Friday.. :ugh:

Scenic Route
31st Oct 2003, 22:11
I had been panicking yesterday that my tickets wouldn't arrive in time but then I got my tickets (sent second class, which seems to take weeks were I live) in the post today, approximately ten minutes earlier the optometrists had informed me that I have a muscle imbalance in my eyes that is outside of the CAA class one limits, so now I have somehing else to panic about:(
I've got my first ever medical in two weeks, then again I may not have, depending on what happens when the Opto bloke at the CAA decides, after my frantic phone call today!

Anyone else living in "interesting times"?

gomez
4th Nov 2003, 18:53
Hi All

Im off to the show also and travelling from Worcester. If anyone wants to share transport, get in touch. Id be keen to meet some people off the group, perhaps for lunch. Anyone fancy it?

Out of interest, im 29, close to finishing PPL and heading to the show to get a better idea of whats involved in a future career in aviation.

InFinRetirement
4th Nov 2003, 19:24
I will be there. To answer any questions about PPRuNe and anything else if I can.

Have a good day.

IFR

Spikeee
5th Nov 2003, 20:28
wow! i really should have been reading this forum more!

What are the chances of getting a ticket and it being delivered by sat? Or... will i be able to pay at the door?

Cheers

Spike

aerfungus
5th Nov 2003, 20:55
The website says you can pay at the door!
If you want to book your ticket in advance you can ring 01225 481440 and give your details there. You have to ring by 4pm today though!

Aerfungus

Spikeee
5th Nov 2003, 20:57
Ah yeah i seen that just after i posted but forgot to edit post :P

Cheers tho

Spike

christootell
6th Nov 2003, 17:03
In reply to Bluel0gic's 'Im 18 anyone else going at that age?'. Well i'm 17, in last year of school (6th form), with a PPL and Night rating..... Hope someones listening out there....and i will be coming along. :ok:

Chris

marts
6th Nov 2003, 17:15
Hi,

Has anyone arranged to meet up for lunch. . . or just to meet up somewhere?

Martin

catherine
6th Nov 2003, 18:46
Dont think anyone has arranged anything yet but I'm up for it. Looking through the thread it looks like the 3 magpies has proven to be a popular venue in the past.

Catherine

Spikeee
6th Nov 2003, 20:21
What time are people getting there?

Do the doors open at 0930 or can people go in earlier?

I'm going to be there about 0800 after the 8hr bus journey! Should be fun!

Ethansa
8th Nov 2003, 01:50
Does anyone know if there is gonna be another one in the near future cos i know ther was one earlier this year.

I might not be able to get to london tommorrow so could anyone please tell me if theres a date for the next one yet???

Hamrah
8th Nov 2003, 06:04
It would appear that I have a presentation to make.

Better make it interesting , I suppose.

See you there.

H

catherine
11th Nov 2003, 22:11
Did anyone go to the Air atlantic presentation in the afternoon? If so any info on the talk would be appreciated as I was unable to make it.

Many thanks

marts
12th Nov 2003, 15:57
If anyone managed to make it to the British Airways presentation - I'd appreciate it if you could share any information.

I didn't manage to make it, as I was struggling to find a parking space at the hotel!!

Thanks
Martin

digga
12th Nov 2003, 21:14
marts,

The BA talk from John Monks was along the usual lines;
What they look for - teamwork, captains for the future etc.
Min requirements;
For entry as TEP (the cadet sponsorship not currently running) - 2 A-Levels/5 GCSEs.
Self-sponsored (SSP) - Frozen ATPL from an approved INTEGRATED course. The school has to actually recommend you.
Direct Entry (DEP) - ATPL (1500hrs min) with line experience (doesn't matter where you trained)

Obviously this can change according to their needs but it doesn't look to good for wannabes keen on BA. The message seems to be go and work for EJ/Ryanair etc. then come and see us when you've got jet time.

I'm still a bit unsure why they continue to promote the 'Integrated route' only.

I thought the modular/integrated training didn't matter as long as you had a licence. The talk form Alan (?) Cooper of Britannia & BALPA didn't seem to support this view either. He said s/th along the lines of "If you can get daddy to pay for your training then go to Oxford and do integrated.."

Has anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Cheers!
Digga