PDA

View Full Version : Touring at Easter

ChiSau
2nd Apr 2003, 22:38
Weather permitting, the girlfriend and I are hoping to go on a little flying tour over Easter.

The vague plan at the moment is to leave my home field (Denham) on Good Friday and head to Bembridge for lunch (or an overnight at the Crab & Lobster).

Then down to Exeter to stay in a nice hotel I know down there and do some horse-riding.

Its really the next bit that I'm short of ideas on.

I was hoping to go somewhere else in the SW (Lands End perhaps - but the runway length looks a bit short and I've not had much experience on grass!!)

I wanted then to head up to Shobdon to see family, then Wellesbourne Mountford as I guess that's the airfield closest to Stratford to see some Shakespeare.

Then home to Denham!

So does anyone have any thoughts for the SW? Or indeed any tips at all? It will be my first time touring. I don't want to do too too much flying, but given the minimum hours requirement of the club planes, I feel I should get my money's worth.

I'm presuming I'm going to have to be very flexible given the vagaries of our weather.

:cool: :cool:

Monocock
2nd Apr 2003, 23:05
Sounds like a great trip, I'm hoping to do something similar a few weeks later.

I have read about a country club somewhere down that way where you can fly in and stay for a few days although I'm not sure what it's called.

Branscombe (1m West of Seaton) is a tiny strip that has a lovely pub within walking distance. The scenery down there is beautiful and the landowner very friendly.

Never been to Lands End so can't comment.

I had to go to Salcombe for a weekend last summer and found Bolt Head Airfield. Salcombe is a fantastic town with lovely streets, pubs and a great relaxing feel to it. The airfield isn't very long and is only really a 500 metre grass strip on top of a hill, great fun taking off over the cliffs though!

Henstridge not the kind of place one would take ones wife on ones hols.

Compton Abbas worth calling in for lunch on the way back, a lovely field in a lovely place with great food and always lively.

Eggesford is great, if you have some transport arranged when you arrive. Very nice owners who are happy to stop and chat, some lovely guys based there too. It's a proper "grass strip" although make sure your brakes are working well before you set off for there.

Is Franklyns Field open to visitors? Not sure.

PM me if you want more info, your talking my neck of the woods and I'll be happy to help out where I can.

2Donkeys
3rd Apr 2003, 00:22
I will be flying down in Bordeaux with Flyin'Dutch and our families for Easter Week.

Counting the days! :D

Thrifty van Rental
3rd Apr 2003, 01:18
2Donkeys

That is very close to my home base! Drop me a PM if you like, and we can meet up.

:D