PDA

View Full Version : 114 people are losing jobs at easyJet

Justice Too
2nd Apr 2003, 20:01
Easyjet is closing one of the two calling centers in the United Kingdom and 114 people are losing their jobs.

Saving money I quess!

Justice Too.

rupetime
2nd Apr 2003, 20:26
.................and the pilots still look for more money less hours?

wasdale
2nd Apr 2003, 21:01
How come passengers get more and more while crew get less and less??:confused:

Notso Fantastic
2nd Apr 2003, 21:15
I suppose rather than any deeper industrial meaning, it really just goes along that more and more people are online and able to book tickets, or get someone to book for them and save money. Along with a reduction in call centre staff should come an increase in IT staff.

wasdale
2nd Apr 2003, 22:07
So maybe in future I can book my seat at the sharp end in the left seat and earn more as long as I have contacted crewing by going online to save them the trouble of rostering?:D

411A
2nd Apr 2003, 22:36
Suspect Notso is right on track.
Recently traveled on Southwest.
Purchased the ticket online. Checked in at the airport via machine (electronic) , passed thru security in two minutes, and boarded the aircraft, all without having to speak to anyone.
The way to go.

bounty
2nd Apr 2003, 22:53
this is a typical Ryanair outrage. The disregard that O'Leary...... oh hang on. :oh: I'll save that for next time.

Letsparty24/7
3rd Apr 2003, 02:45
On 411A's point,

I can't say that I like the idea of people checking in at an airport via a machine and getting on an a/c without speaking to anyone. What checks did they do at security? Who checks you are the person that purchased the ticket? Were any security questions asked?

You want it when?
3rd Apr 2003, 02:52
Ahh yes the "Did you pack the bag yourself?" and "Are there any of these items in the bags sir" question.

How many nasty types do you think that's caught out?

Automation is the way to go to reduce operating costs so that where you do need humans they can be found, and paid sensible wages.

411A
3rd Apr 2003, 03:48
Letsparty24/7

Arrived at airport, obtained boarding pass via machine (no checked baggage) proceeded to security line, was asked for photo ID, showed same along with boarding pass, was directed to proceed thru security, went to gate, showed ID again, boarded aircraft.
The questions previously asked, are no longer required, due to TSA screening now.
Have to say that the TSA screening at many airports is much better, and user friendly.

In trim
3rd Apr 2003, 05:12
Back on thread....

It is the STN call centre which is closing. The website is being developed to allow more online control of your itinerary.....flight changes, etc. all of which currently have to be done by phone as the website doesn't support these.

The same is true for other customer service facilities, some of which will soon be available on the web. Also, the call centre will transition to only accepting bookings within the last few days before a flight to persuade more people onto the web.

All this will reduce the level of calls, so a single centre is the obvious low-cost solution.

Best of luck to all concerned.

Macman
3rd Apr 2003, 06:14
Rupetime,

The relevance of this to the Pilot's pay deal is.....??? You are welcome to join us - just take your cheque book down to Oxford and sign on the dotted line - they will happily take your money. Perhaps you should be looking at the recipients of the 10 million before slagging the pilots off - EJ get plenty out of us in return for the money mate.....

Oleo
3rd Apr 2003, 13:06
And again back to the thread, why do you think Justice Too that 114 people losing their jobs is worth a grinning icon?

At the take over of Go, easyJet assured that their would be no redundancies and that everyone would be needed in the "new easyJet".

Gee, what a surprise it is the Stansted (Go) call centre that is closing. I have been waiting for a promised refund from easyJet for two months. I can never get through on their telephone system, but then I suppose this suits them perfectly. Snowballs chance now that they are dumping half their call centre staff. EJ is apparently adopting the Ryanair "ignore-punters after you have their money" approach. But then they ignore their staff too so at least they are consistent.

In trim
3rd Apr 2003, 14:02
Oleo,

There has definitely been a change in the plans since the integration started and it was felt at that time that it would be viable to continue with separate call centres. It is regrettable, but obvious, that the STN call centre is the most expensive to run, as it is now a completely 'stand-alone' unit within Enterprise House (expensive) and needs to be managed at a distance from HQ, wheras the LTN call centre is within 'the Orange Shed', so in shared facilities and at much lower cost. If one of them has to close then it would be totally illogical to do it the other way round.

Rob_L
3rd Apr 2003, 18:46
At least EJ are keeping the remaining call centre jobs in the UK.
Call centres in the UK are being closed on a regular basis by many large companies with the work being transferred to Asia (usually India), same goes for billing. Cheap good quality labour is the reason.

I would suggest that there is little reason to criticise easyjet for this, why on earth would they need two call centres?

It could be worse after all Ryan Air might have bought GO a la Buzz. Do you think they would give a **** about a few telephone operators???

rupetime
3rd Apr 2003, 18:59
Macman

" The relevance of this to the Pilot's pay deal is.....??? "

You all work for the same company, typical them and us attitude
- your demanding a better pay deal meanwhile your colleagues get laid off - and you think i want to train to work with "colleagues" like that !

no thank you.

Pointer
3rd Apr 2003, 19:23
Well well its time for a new addition to the already expanded pprune site i gues; aviation call centers because the real brush with aviation is a bit far...except selling tickets

I'm sure they will work some where else now they have the great experience of working for a "mayor" lowcost airline. :D I'm truly sorry for them but isn't this a little overdone, all this fuss :yuk: ?

i motion to move to the "underworld" of jet blast! ;) who seconds it....?

Powerjet1
3rd Apr 2003, 19:25
Anyone know when easy are moving from the 'tin shed' to their new corporate HQ located somewhere at Luton.

Robert Vesco
3rd Apr 2003, 23:32
I agree with you Pointer !

Lot´s of other threads (mostly about ´foreign´ i.e. non-UK airlines) are (re) moved within hours, but this thread (about a CALL center for crying out loud !) is already 2 pages long ! :confused:

Few Cloudy
4th Apr 2003, 00:24
Er - not really. It's about people - carefully chosen young linguists who worked hard for their airline (in this case GO) at the beginning.

The easyJet people, about whom I know more, worked on a commission basis - the call centre expanded rapidly for a year or so - then the internet took more and more of the new customers so that the call centre size stagnated. Some telephone sales people will always be needed but it's mainly gone the way of the Navigator, Flight Engineer and Wireless op.

carbootking
4th Apr 2003, 02:30
ist point is luton council offered easy jet a bigger grant for the call centre to stay there all this was sorted months ago every one new that and the lease of there floor has run out as well a good thing now there is car parking spaces in the staff car park

Macman
4th Apr 2003, 04:41
Rupetime,

Fair enough - don't. I couldn't care less, but do us all a favour - stop complaining about the pilots' pay deal. It has nothing to do with call centre jobs. By the way I wish anyone who IS losing their job all the best.

Macca