PDA

View Full Version : Help needed!!

Cez
1st Apr 2003, 16:30
I know you must all be quite sick of the question i am about to ask but i really do need some help in what to do. like a lot of people i have the ambition to become a pilot but i have only begun to look into the career in detail. i am in the process of deciding which university to go to and whether or not to take a gap year in between. my first question is: what A level qualifications do you need? From past research i have found that maths and physics are preferred. I have not taken physics at AS level will this be a problem? secondly is it essential that you do maths A level after doing maths at AS level? and lastly I have taken maths statistics rather than mechanics does this matter.
I hope you can help me and sorry to ask what are probably some of the most repetative questions but i will be very greatful of any help!!!!
I hope you have a great day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brownstar
3rd Apr 2003, 23:15
in reply to your question - it all depends on which training route you take to become a pilot. I would suggest that you get in touch with BA if you are considering a cadetship with them, if you are considering the military then get in touch with them, if you are considering the self sponsered route then your qualifications will only be of any importance when applying to the airlines, and from my experience, any airline worth it applying to will give you a chance to prove your flying skills rather than judge on school, college or university results. That said, you will find that what ever career you end up in a degree will help you along the way. If you don't have one though, don't worry though.

You don't indicate whether or not you have been flying, or have a licence so it is difficult to be more specific. I would say your best bet would be to go down to your local flying club and speak to someone there. They should be able to help you.
if you haven't been flying yet then get a trial lesson to see if you like it !!

All the best, and good luck!!

scroggs
4th Apr 2003, 03:56
Firstly, the qualifications you require depend on the route you take. An airline doesn't care what A-levels you have if you have an ATPL and 2000 hours on Boeing 737s. On the other hand, if you want someone to pay for, or at least underwrite, your training, you can expect them to require at least 2 A-levels. Most don't specify exactly what these should be, but they will require you to have grade C or above at maths and a science at GCSE. Remember that there are very few organisations sponsoring flying students these days, so don't make plans based on the expectations of getting a sponsorship.

Secondly, before you commit to aviation as a career choice, go out and get some hours in an aeroplane, under instruction, and make bloody sure you like it. Then get yourself a Class 1 medical (£400). And also go to GAPAN (www.gapan.org) and book yourself on their aptitude testing program (£150). While you're waiting for all this to happen, search this site and learn from others' experiences.

Scroggs