PDA

View Full Version : LCY river slots

no, no, no
1st Apr 2003, 16:09
I have heard a very strong rumour from a very good source that London City are planning to increase their airport capacity and slot availability by 50% by utilising its position on the river and its surrounding docks.

Advanced talks are currently taking place with 3 airlines, one of which is beleived to be bmi regional, with regards to operating sea-planes in to London City, with mooring charges being offered at a huge discount versus their usual changes.

ATC and the Thames river Authority have already given their clearance for such activities.

Currently, the number of aircraft which can be operated to and from LCY is limited and they are hoping that this unique offering will entice new customers, from scheduled carriers and private charters alike.

This is the latest development for LCY after BA commenced services for the first time to GLA, CDG & FRA as City aim to be the first choice for London buisiness people.

Jobs-a-Goodun
1st Apr 2003, 16:39
Mmmm, now i'm pretty sure that it was 31st March yesterday and i'm convinced it's 2nd April tomorrow.

What does that make today again????

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

no, no, no
1st Apr 2003, 16:42
I make it that today is Tuesday...............;)

Avro Arrow
1st Apr 2003, 17:46
Yeah, Ive heard the same. Now that LCY has its AOC with a Falcon 900, the MD has persuaded his Boss the benevolent Irish Buisness Man, Mr Desmond, to invest in a PBY - Catalina to actually use the river so as to save costs for pouring concrete etc.

If this catches on other Flying Boats could be added to the fleet - Shorts Sandringham to Sandy Lane perhaps?

AA

seacue
1st Apr 2003, 21:44
Not too many water runways around these days. Not too many passenger amphibians around these days.

This fishy story is a poisson d'avril.

Smokie
2nd Apr 2003, 00:11
Best I dust off my SeaPlane rating and get out my PBY mannuals.;) ;)

MerchantVenturer
2nd Apr 2003, 01:14
I cannot see this getting off the ground.

As you may know there is one hell of an argument taking place at the moment between BALPA and the Maritime unions as to who should fly these air amphibians.

The other problem, and the airport and airlines seemed to have overlooked this entirely, is that it will mean a change of working conditions for the marshallers in that they will all need to be able to swim. Apparently 40% of the current staff are non-swimmers and any coercion on the part of management will be resisted strongly - one of the senior managers, Michael O'Meary, was quoted as saying, "Chuck the bast*rds in the Thames, they will soon learn that way."

This has understandably led to much ill feeling amongst the staff and could lead to an all-out strike involving marshallers, Thames lightermen, River Police and the Isle of Wight ferry.

Another woeful example of management in this country.