PDA

View Full Version : Does JAA work? Can you really get work abroad?

Euroatlantic
1st Apr 2003, 06:34
Hi. I'm thinking of starting my flight training soon. I'm considering getting a JAR license in Spain and then lookign for work all around Europe.
But is that possible really? Can you really get work abroad? Or do local companies prefer local pilots? ( for example, can a spanish find work with a UK operator as long as he's more qualified than a british pilot?)

Thanks!

Dubliner No.1
1st Apr 2003, 08:02
Was wondering the same thing myself mate!

I find that a lot of people from European Countries speak at least one other language and it may be my perception, but when I meet people from Britain and Ireland they tend not to speak other languages. Surely this is going to be a limiting Factor? I realize that English is the international language of Aviation but you need to be able to chat to your fellow crew members?

And before someone (and they are out there, gets hysterical, and questions my religon,my nationality and parentage) this is JUST an opinion..... So be a grown up!

Bumz_Rush
2nd Apr 2003, 18:10
On the exec side, the JAR has made life much easier. I obtained my JAR licence on the first day of CAA compliance, and was working in Denmark, the JAR was held by serveral of the guys, from many different countries. My next Job, Zurich operation, the JAR is the norm, with several nations represented.
YES some countries prefer their nationals, but several prefer expats, (many benefits for the company, in relation to local social costs).
As to is it needed, many of us have no JAR licences and continue to be paid each month, but in the long term GO FOR IT.