PDA

View Full Version : Implications of moving to/working in Australia

blackknight
22nd Mar 2002, 22:07
I am about to embark on my integrated ATPL course next month at BAe SYSTEMS, Jerez, and cant wait to get out there and start it all. . .. .However, I have also recently got back from a trip to Australia, albeit rather shorter than I would have liked. After coming home and comparing a few factors, I am now very seriousley considering moving to Australia upon completion of my course and *hopefully* getting a job with an airline like Qantas.. .. . I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this sort of situation or can offer advice on the current job market over there (I am aware of the recent closure of Ansett), relative pay, career progression etc.... .. .Blackknight

DVR6K
22nd Mar 2002, 22:23
Hiya,. .. .Went to Oz a couple of Xmas´ ago and asked a few pilots about job prospects. All of them Qantas.. .. .General consensus of opinion - "You should be so lucky pal".. .. .So I´m told there´s nowt going in Oz. Loads of pilots and not enough jobs. I would love to live there and fly there but it doesn´t look too promising I´m afraid. Maybe someone in Oz is better qualified to answer but if you can´t wait, here ya go.. .. .[edited to correct poor everythingness]. . . . <small>[ 22 March 2002, 18:24: Message edited by: DVR6K ]</small>

togaroo
22nd Mar 2002, 23:29
You have to be an Australlian citizen to work for the big white kangaroo (QF) and with all of the well trained Ansett guys out of a job, the prospects for the forseeable future would be for a fresh low houred pilot.... well its better that you stay in Europe.

Metro man
23rd Mar 2002, 12:07
If you come here be prepared for a very difficult time. At present we have A320 pilots driving trucks and regional turbine pilots stacking shelves in supermarkets.. .. .As a new commercial pilot you will be competing against hundreds of others ,for at best a single engine charter job probably in the back of beyond,and out here that really is a long way from anywhere.. .. .QANTAS have around a 90% reject rate for applicants and you may be waiting YEARS for an interview.Unless you are experienced and know someone in the company forget Virgin Blue.. .. .I have been writing to some regionals for nearly eight years without even getting an interview.. .. .If you want to fly you are probably better off waiting in Europe with the licence until things pick up ,you will certainly get to fly better equipment with far quicker progression.. .. .However life out here is much more pleasant than Europe ,depends on your priorities.

Sly'n Smiley
23rd Mar 2002, 15:17
There are about 1000 experienced airline pilots out of work from the demise of Ansett and associated regionals. The whole employment scence here is totaly dead. Check out the Dunnunda forum. Esp. the staffcv thread. Most of the pilots that QF are interviewing are ex-AN. Even then, only those with University Quals.are getting an invitation to stage one and two testing. The GA drivers are really p!ssed off. Many here are looking at going to Europe.

scroggs
23rd Mar 2002, 21:13
I'll transfer this thread to Dunnunda & Godzone for authoratitive comment.....