PDA

View Full Version : School Subject Options

BAe 146-100
31st Mar 2003, 22:32
Hello,

I have just taken my options at my High School. I have chosen Food as my technology subject and Geography and ICT as my other choices. I would like to become an airline pilot when I'm older. I know as a pilot you need to be good at technical drawing but I didn't take graphics because I don't find it intresting. Do you think i have made reasonable choices? Thanks for your help!

Regards
BAe 146-100

FlyingForFun
31st Mar 2003, 22:35
Who told you that you need to be good at technical drawing? I've never heard of that one before!

The subjcets which you may find useful are maths and physics. A basic understanding of these will help you pass your pilots exams. But they're not essential. It's far more important to get good marks at A-level and university - and the best way of getting good marks is to do the subjects you enjoy the most.

Besides which, food is an excellent subject - very close to my heart and stomach! :D

Good luck!

FFF
----------------

BAe 146-100
31st Mar 2003, 23:04
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I pilot came to our Air Cadet sqn. who is a first officer on the Embraer 145 told me that it is useful to do technical drawing as a subject.

Regards
BAe 146-100

Danny_R
2nd Apr 2003, 06:17
Well if thats the case.... im screwed... lol i aint got an artistic bone in my body. I took Geography for GCSE, i wish i hadn't, it became a bit boring as you do about the UK for more than a year, I really wanted to learn about other countries. But hey you might enjoy it, good luck to you

Celtic Frog
22nd Apr 2003, 05:01
I have no idea what your pilot was on about with the technical drawing...never heard such c**p.
Basically..be reasonably good at Maths & Physics. Not essential that you even pass your A levels in them cos A level standard actually goes beyond what you need to know for the maths (basic arithmetic, fomulas, and geometry )& physics in the flying exams. Some people will try telling you that you need geography..but you don't.
Also, far from essential, but a couple of languages wouldn't do you any harm..again, not needing to be fluent..just be able to waffle through a conversation now and then.
Good luck

buzzc152
22nd Apr 2003, 19:43
Biology (or even better human biology) would be quiet relevant to some of the training.... but as everyone has said not at all essential.

zero-lash valve lifter
22nd Apr 2003, 19:48
You can choose food as one of your subjects at school now? That must be right up there with a degree in David Beckham studies (yes there is one).:rolleyes:

mad_jock
22nd Apr 2003, 21:18
Techie drawing? How being able to draw a cone and sphere intersecting in Isometric will help you fly I don't know.
Did it a O grade level and the another year of it at Uni. Might give you a heads up if you looking a a system schematic but once you get your head round one of them the rest are of a similar format.

Maths, Physics, Biology and if there is such a thing these days pratical engineering studies (piston engines, levers and a bit of materials). A language or 2 would be very helpful, I must admit I would have found Spanish very helpful in my travels.

To be honest your best doing what you enjoy. There is nothing worse than slogging your way through a subject you are totally not interested in.

MJ